LAX - Los Angeles International Airport

1 World Way, Los Angeles, CA, USA

LAX - Los Angeles International Airport Reviews

parisak86 parisak86
Crazyness! Apr 11, 2011
Make sure you always get here ahead of time. You can sometimes walk through security but usually it is crazy! Also make sure you pack right so they don't throw away your brand new bottles of shampoo/conditioner away like they did to me. Also have a drink at the bar!
Andy99 Andy99
The Themes of LAX Oct 26, 2010
Los Angeles International Airport, known universally as LAX, is the major airport for Los Angeles and Southern California. It's one of the world's major airports, the sixth busiest. One can easily tell this by observing the volume of aircraft movements. But, for such a busy airport, the terminals are on a relatively small parcel of land.

The terminal area has been largely on the same layout since the "new" LAX opened in 1962. Major expansions in the 1980s led to the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT) and Terminal 1. LAX is crowded and arriving passengers notice this straightaway amid the bustle of baggage claim and the clamor of ground transportation. But, it all works!

The eight numbered terminals and TBIT are arranged around a horseshoe-shaped roadway named World Way. Departures are on the upper level of the roadway and terminals and arrivals and baggage claim on the lower level. International arrivals are generally at TBIT. Large airlines such as United and American have their own terminals. The lower level roadway is busy with taxis and shuttle buses for car rentals, hotels, and parking. (Long term parking and car rental sites are located off the terminal property.) Food and amenities are located in each terminal past the security check.

Ground transportation is provided by taxi (can be expensive), Flyaway Bus, van services like SuperShuttle, and a free connection to the Metro Green Line. (Shuttle bus to the Aviation station.) The traditional route to downtown Los Angeles is the 105 Freeway or Century Boulevard to the 110 Freeway. Flyaway bus will take you downtown to Union Station and to other points.

You'll probably notice the large four-legged building that looks like a flying saucer. That is the landmark 1962 Theme Building that set the tone for the new Jetport when it opened. It houses a revolving restaurant.
Los Angeles International Airport
Theme Building (1962)
Tom Bradley International Terminal…
Andy99 says:
LAX competes with IAD as my most used airport. It is showing its age, though.
Cho says:
I have lost count on the number of times (arrival/departure) I was at this airport. Not the best airport in the world, but certainly very busy!
James1985 says:
in my experience this was the worst airport ive ever been to. Well Major one anyway. When i was there it was a logistical nightmare.
Posted on: Dec 02, 2010
yadilitta yadilitta
Aiport in L.A. - LAX Jun 20, 2010
During my 1st time visiting USA West Coast I flew in and from LAX Airport.

When I arrived to the USA, it was 8am. Airport wasn't crowded and it was easy to clear customs and pick up my bags. Actually the customs officers were very kind. Yes he did some questions, but he was just having fun, hahaha. They are are also carts for free for your convenience.

When leaving L.A. I went to the airport at night. It was ok again. But the shops aren't open until late, which is not that great if you have to catch a flight late at night or early in the morning. But besides that the airport was fine, staff was friendly and everything was clear and well organized.
checking in area
in the way to the gates
Africancrab Africanc…
Attitude at LAX Airport May 24, 2009
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX):

I have traveled through LAX more than three times and each time I have been surprised at how BUSY the place is. I have written about busy airports like Chicago’s O’Hare, Milwaukee’s General Mitchell and Atlanta’s Hartsfield, but LAX gives new meaning to the word 'busy'. I went through LAX the first time in 2004 when I flew in from London on an Air New Zealand flight and my flight taxied at TBI terminal. It took so long to go through customs/immigration since this was an international flight and the immigrations officer had such an attitude I wanted to refer him to my Mom for attitude adjustment. He quite simply had "bad manners" or did not like his job much, he treated me like I had committed a crime and I felt like I was in an interrogation room. My poor daughter was so exhausted, she was sleeping. I will not even go into the weight of a sleeping 40 lb baby. Of course I understood he was doing his job, security and all but my goodness it was a bit much. I do not know if I was the only one who felt this way but this is not a good thing especially for first time visitors to the US.

Imagine this was not even my first time to the United States, this was my third trip and I had three separate Visas that he checked twice. I have an American child on my hands and he looks at me as if the child I had was stolen or something.

I had to check my luggage out and re-check it in since I had a connecting flight to Tucson. I was surprised when one of the Customs guys asked if he could help me since I had my daughter with me and three huge suitcases. He helped me to the check point and asked if I need help with my bags to the check-in counter after customs. In passing I mentioned to him what had happened to me at the passport control and he laughed and said “those guys need "an attitude adjustment”. I felt much better knowing that someone had recognized the fact that I had been treated not so good upon arrival in the US. That aside the crowd looked lost and the congestion around security check points and TSA scanners was amazing. The security guy was yelling out the instructions to passengers and behaving like he is getting ready to beat someone if they did not do it right (talk of drama). Nonetheless my Customs guide was good enough to ask forgiveness on behalf of the airport staff by saying that the sheer numbers of passengers, and planes arriving and departing can be much for just about anyone. He told me most of them had been working more than 8 hour shifts and that can put a damp on anyone’s spirits. After that I was more forgiving.

If TB1 (well TB stands for Tom Bradley: I don‘t know who he is, don‘t ask) is the international terminal, then it needs to be upgraded/ renovated/ refurbished or whatever the term is because it leaves a lot to be desired. LAX is supposed to be the airport of the rich (Hollywood and all) but you would be surprised to learn that it does not reflect the wealth, lifestyle and class of the rich and famous. Nevertheless, I have returned to LAX twice since my ordeal in 2004. I would use it because my flight from Tucson to LAX is really cheap and because the domestic terminals are small enough to allow quick movement. For International travel however, I would caution you to look at options before you choose LAX.
Cho says:
I have been in and out of LAX at least 20 different times and was treated politely every time, except once when the Immigration officer (he was of Indian origin) gave me the third degree and asked me all kinds of silly questions.
alicegourmet says:
I'm totally understand your experience with the "LAX custom treatment". I had so many times coming in and out of LAX. Most of the time, custom officers were nice to me. I were lucky that I didn't come across with grouchy ones! My ex-roomate was sent to a room to search her lugguage after the custom officer saw her passport had stamps of Dubai (she was working for a company based in Dubai and she's a world traveler too). I guess they are trying to do the job. Sorry for those who experienced the attitude thing though!
Posted on: Jul 10, 2010
Africancrab says:
Well I'm glad you were treated courteously, I would have expected less for an injured passenger. I was taken aback though because normally a mother with a young child is treated with much more respect than I got. My daughter is older now and I think I have learned the bold headedness of the Amerians because I can now tell them what I think, not always a good thing though. Thanks Eric
Posted on: Mar 02, 2009
X_Drive X_Drive
Biggest and busiest. Sep 07, 2009
Los Angeles International Airport is one of the world’s busiest airports, serving nearly 90 airlines and almost 100 terminal gates. There are 8,000 parking stalls in eight different parking structures and there are separate levels for cars coming for arrivals and for departures. There are 11 car rental firms doing business there and 8 different scheduled bus firms. Taxis and shuttle buses also abound. It is situated about 20 miles west on downtown Los Angeles, but don’t be fooled you will not find one square block of open land, unless it just got torn down to replace. Los Angeles and all of the communities surrounding it have for a long time run together.

I have been through LAX on two separate occasions, once to fly to Europe and return in 2005, and to make this recent flight from Fresno and then on to Vancouver. Both times I found the help there to be well trained, knowledgeable, and cooperative.
Our plane being prepared at gate 8…
Just a very few of the planes at g…
Cho says:
LAX is certainly one of the busiest and biggest airports in the world but definitely not the best. That honor goes to Changi International airport in Singapore. It has been voted number 1 (for several years running) among the world's best airports by many travel magazines and organizations, not to mention the passengers.
jenn79 says:
you must have displayed your charm in spades, because I never get any decent help there!! =)
Posted on: Sep 28, 2009
sylviandavid says:
nicd review Roger... Sylvia
Posted on: Sep 27, 2009

Related Travel Blogs About LAX - Los Angeles International Airport

Sunday on a plane - all day and then some
We got up at 6 am Sunday for our series of flights from Orlando to Houston to LA to Auckland, New Zealand.  That worked out to be 28 hours of travel time through various time zones and over the …Los Angeles airport terminal 3 (LAX international terminal) serves a surprisingly good dinner (fish and chips with a Sam Adams…
Domestic and International Airports, plus WingShots!!
Here are the airports I have been to in the states: 1.  New York's (JFK)  2.  Boston's Logan International (BOS)  3.  Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International (ATL) 4…Los Angeles(LAX) International  12.  Bozeman, Montana Gallatin Airport  13.  New Orleans Louis Armstrong…

Check Los Angeles Hotel Deals