Kyubey Sushi Ginza

8-7-6 Ginza, Tokyo, Japan

Kyubey Sushi Ginza Tokyo Reviews

Eric Eric
Exclusive, high quality sushi Aug 08, 2015
Jiro gets all the press in the United States because of the documentary, but this place is more well known among locals as one of the best sushi restaurants in the city. It has been around for a while and frequented by Prime Ministers, Presidents and celebrities from the world over.

There are a few different “rooms”, each on a different floor within a cluster of buildings within close proximity of each other. Each room has about 2 sushi chefs for 8-10 customers, and one of the things that the restaurant prides itself in is its high chef / customer ratio. I believe certain rooms and levels are reserved for more famous customers. We ended up on the first floor of the annex building, which likely reflected our status but was still very nice.

We did the cheapest “omakase” meal which was more than enough food. Our chef was younger (but still spent 10 years in the back making sushi rice before being allowed to work in front of customers).

Overall, the food was excellent, but there were no surprises or moments that made me think, “Wow, this place is truly remarkable!” When paying so much money at such a well-regarded restaurant, I’ve grown to expect those moments – a course of a fish that you have never tasted before, a dish artfully arranged in a new or interesting way, even a unique flavor in a familiar dish. But none of those moments happened.

In other words, everything was good, which matched my expectations. But nothing exceeded my expectations or surprised me, which is what I would have expected out of a world famous 5 star restaurant.

Check Tokyo Hotel Deals