Kyo-Tonchintei

Kintetsu Miyakomichi Mall, Kyoto, Japan

Kyo-Tonchintei Kyoto Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
Great okonomyaki May 07, 2013
Kyo-Tonchintei is located in the Kintetsu Miyakomichi Mall at the south exit of Kyoto station building. I had a strong craving for okonomyaki and that was exactly their speciality.

I was welcomed by a sweet and helpful waitress. Despite her limited English and my close to non existing Japanese, we communicated just fine. It's interesting to see how easy it is to communicate if you just try.

I was so relieved to see that they had a menu in English. It was actually nicer than the Japanese one, because it had photos too. I ended up going there several times and tried an okonomyaki with noodles, one with cheese, chicken skewers, fried tofu with Kyoto vegetables and fried scallops. It was so good!

On my first visit I was seated by a table and the other times by the counter. The counter was more fun, from there you could watch the cooks prepare all the food. Quite entertaining! In the short time I was there, the pace always fill up quickly with locals. A good sign to me!

The only minus about Kyo-Tonchintei is that they allow smoking. There are no separate areas for smoking and non smoking. For a non smoker like me, it's quite uncomfortable to have people smoking in your face while you eat.

I can recommend Kyo-Tonchintei for their good service, great food and nice atmosphere. I will definitely eat there again.
Cheese okonomyaki
Noodle okonomyaki
My half eaten noodle okonomyaki
Agedashi dofu (fried tofu with Kyo…
sarahsan says:
Thanks for the info Yasuyo!
Posted on: May 23, 2013
yasuyo says:
Hiroshima has similar food "kyabetsu-yaki",kyabetsu is a cabbage. Okonomiyaki is from Osaka and you might try "monja-yaki" in Tokyo! :)
Posted on: May 21, 2013
sarahsan says:
I´d love to Yasuyo! It´s a deal! I thought it came from Hiroshima. It´s very big there as well!
Posted on: May 21, 2013