Kybele Hotel

Check Istanbul Hotel Deals

Kybele Hotel Istanbul Reviews

ivy76 ivy76
A Turkish delight Apr 03, 2012
Just when I thought I had the best time in Istanbul, I found this place. This is a tourist attraction on it's own. When I saw this on the net, I knew I had to stay here.

As much as possible, I don't like staying in business hotels, I find it bland and soulless but my husband said it's better for me to be in a known hotel at least for the first 3 days. Since I am a very dutiful and submissive wife, I agreed. :)

Kybele is in a fantastic location, it didn't take me a long time to find it and it was much better in the flesh. The hotel is only a few minutes walk to the major sights like the Grand Cistern, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, the Hippodrome, the trams, shops and restaurants. I took a double room as there was no single room available but the staff were kind enough to give me a good discount. On the fourth day I moved in.

The whole place is full of antiques, calligraphy, old maps, beautiful paintings and every room has dozens of hanging lamps. It is luxurious but not tacky. It's like Sinbad's treasure house. Simply magical.

This has been the best hotel I've stayed in so far. It is so unique, quirky, charming and full of character. It has only 16 rooms so it feels very cozy and homely and doesn't feel impersonal. The staff are friendly, helpful and informal. Breakfast is excellent and their soup is to die for!

My room was beautiful, very romantic and the bed is so comfy, perfect for honeymooners. For women on a solo trip, it will make you feel like a harem girl or maybe it's just me imagining crazy things again!

I woke up very late on the last day and I haven't really planned to do anything so I was feeling a bit lost, I thought maybe I'd just go for a Turkish massage. I was on my own when I had my breakfast but Asnan, one of the employee kept me company. As always, I asked a gazillion questions. After 3 servings of soup, Asnan gave me a tour of the hotel and told me he'd like me to meet the owner. He took me to the private museum then he disappeared.

After that, my day went from good to amazing. Mike one of the owners is a delightful person to be with. He's the one who did most of the interior decoration. He also paints and has interesting stories to tell.

I was planning to stay only for an hour but we ended up talking for 5 hours! I felt privileged and special to be invited. We also had an impromptu photo session. He's not a professional photographer, we just did it for fun and we had a good laugh. In between the shoots, we had tea and then we were served Turkish ravioli for lunch, Turkish coffee and baklava for dessert, it was really nice. I wish I could stay there for another week!

Later, his friends and his son came. The next thing I knew I was surrounded by 4 charming men. I enjoyed winding them up! :)

I left for the airport at 5pm. I felt that my stay in Kybele has made my holiday complete. It was such a wonderful experience and the good thing about it was, it was all unexpected.

Check Istanbul Hotel Deals