Kura Sushi

3-9-1, Osaka, Japan

Kura Sushi Osaka Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
The best sushi ever! Feb 12, 2012
Kura sushi is located in the Hotel Sunroute Umeda, only a 10 minutes walk from JR Osaka station. I stayed at the hotel in 2007. When I checked in I asked for a place to eat nearby and was recommended Kura Sushi by the reception staff.

Kura Sushi is what the name says, "kura" in Japanese means "around", a sushi restaurant with a conveyor belt where fresh sushi comes directly from the kitchen. And the best thing is the price. A plate with 2 pieces of sushi cost ¥100 ($1,15). When you are done eating you call a waitress and she counts your plates, gives you a bill which you take to the cash register by the door. They also do take away.

When I was in Osaka earlier this year I did not stay at the Hotel Sunroute Umeda, but I remembered Kura Sushi for their nice sushi.

After a day of sight seeing I went to Kura Sushi and was looking forward to great sushi. Well, that was not going to happen. This place is so popular and being around 7 o´clock it was 1 hour and 20 minutes wait. I was too hungry for that, so I went somewhere else.

I just could not leave Osaka without eating at Kura Sushi, so I went back the next day between lunch and dinner. This time it was no problem getting a seat.

If you don´t understand Japanese you can get an instruction in English. An instruction you might ask? Every so often there is a little computer along the conveyor belt. If you don´t fancy any of the sushi that comes out on the conveyor belt, then you use the little screen to place your own order. That is when the instruction comes in handy. I was so pleased with myself when I managed to place my own order, so I kept on doing it. The result was that I ate way to much. The sushi you order directly from the kitchen comes out on the conveyor belt on a little red stand, so everyone knows that it is a special order. When it gets close to your seat a bell will ring to tell you that your order is on the conveyor belt.

I saw that the lady next to me was enjoying an ice cold beer, so I ordered one. The waitress said that it was ¥450 and I said okey! Well, there is a self-service corner in the restaurant where you get it yourself. You put ¥450 into a slot, then take a glass and put it on the little platform and the machine tilts the class and fills it with beer. Quite amazing what they have machines do in this country.

I have eaten sushi in many places around the world, but this has been the best sushi I have ever had. Usually in Japan they say that conveyor belt sushi is not the best kind of sushi, but Kura sushi beats them all. I can highly recommend this place and I will definitely eat there again on my next visit to Osaka.
Kura Sushi
Inside the restaurant
Inside the restaurant
The menu
ys484 says:
I often go to nearby kura zushi:)
Posted on: Jul 31, 2012
Tamanawas says:
My original thoughts too "Usually in Japan they say that conveyor belt sushi is not the best kind of sushi" . . . thanks for the review! Japan trip for me - maybe 2011! :)
Posted on: Jun 29, 2010
monky says:
Hola Sarah felicitaciones por tu featured review aunque conozco muy poco de este tipo de comida, me gusta lo que he probado aqui.

Que tengas una muy linda semana felicidades de nuevo!!
Posted on: Jun 28, 2010