920 Jalan Cenderawasih, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
03-2272 1010

Kuala Lumpur Bird Park Reviews

reikunboy reikunboy
Kuala Lumpur's Bird park Aug 12, 2012
The Kuala Lumpur Bird Park is located in the Lake Gardens, roughly a twenty minute walk from LRT Pasar Seni station.

The Bird park is one of Kuala Lumpur's most popular attractions with over 200,000 visitors annually and is home to the worlds largest free flight walk in aviary comprising of zones 1 and 2 of the park, consisting of birds such as peacocks,flamingos, storks, doves, egrets and ibises. These birds are left free in the aviary so the birds are able to breed naturally in the environment.

Zones 3 is home to the horn bill, a bird that is unique with its large bill and an orange curved casque resting above it protruding from its head. In mating season these birds ram each other like a pair of mountain goats. The horn bill lives in the rain forests of Malaysia, unfortunately they have become endangered in their natural habitat.

The horn bills were however kept in small cages for a bird its size. Other birds in this area were smaller parrots, parakeets, rosellas, cockatoos. Most of these were perched on people taking photos, feeding them for an extra charge. I didn't like how it was set up as I would rather watch the birds fly around or rustle the leaves ort grass on the ground. I don't need them on me just to have a photo.

Zone 4 is where the large flightless such as the endangered Southern Cassowary, emus and ostriches were kept to roam around in a medium size pen

The nursery is also located in zone 4 and it was very interesting to see the chickens and duck eggs being incubated artificially.

During the day they have feeding programmes and they have 2 shows performed in the amphitheater at 12.30pm and 3.30pm daily. The show was kind of cute and lots of the birds didn't do what the trainers wanted them to do which made me enjoy it more.

Overall the park didn't meet my expectations. I thought there would be a larger variety of birds even though the website states that it has 3000 birds and approximately 200 species. I felt the free flight park had a lot of peacocks and a bird that looked similar to a turkey, a small pond with flamingos but not many other birds.

OPENING TIMES

emu
parrot performance
dove
spocklogic says:
Good review and nice bird photos.
Posted on: Sep 15, 2012
sarahelaine says:
Congratulations on the feature!
Posted on: Sep 10, 2012
monky says:
Congrats on your featured review! nice review:)
Posted on: Sep 10, 2012
westwind57 westwind…
KL Bird Park, especially nice for spending a morning May 07, 2011
KL Bird Park has been set up in such a way that many of the birds live in enormous zones, with space that comes as close to free range as is possible. I had a saturday to spend in KL before my flight back home, after a business visit, and I have spent a few nice hours here in the morning. If you are really into bird photography, you can easily spend a whole day here as well, other people will find that a couple of hours will do. No matter how long, it is worth a visit.

The set-up of the park is that you follow a route that leads you through 4 very large different zones, which contain thematic sections, just to name a few of them:

•Brahminy land

•Flamingo pond

•Bul Bul Land

•Flightless Birds Zone

•Oriental Bird Aviary

•World of Parrots

•Waterfall Aviary

There is plenty of useful information on the many signs and there are a lot of educative venues as well, including an amphitheatre, an egg incubation station, and a gallery & information centre.

The park is situated on a slope which has vreated to make the aviaries so high that in many places even the visitors don't have the ideas that it is enclosed. The landscaping is very nice and follows the themes of the various zones.

A souvenir shop and a restaurant/café, with a huge veranda overlooking the hornbill park can be accessed from inside the park and from outside as well. Some people mentioned in other review sites that you can just easily save the admission fee by just going to have a drink there. Indeed you would see some birds, but you miss the vast majority of what this park has to offer.

Spending half a day here also allows you to combine it for example with the butterfly park close by, or with Lake Gardens in general.

The opening hours are daily from 09.00 a.m. till 06.00 p.m. and I would recommend going there early because it is still quiet and you will be able to approach the birds more closely.

from behind the waterfall

Also, they are more lively when it is not so hot yet.

The website gives clear directions on how to get there:

By public transport

•Rapid KL Bus No. B115 from Kotaraya to Jalan Parlimen

•KL Hop-On-Hop-Off Double Decker Tour Bus Service, disembark at Station No. 14 in front of KL Bird Park Main Entrance. Buses available at every 30 to 45 minutes interval.

•By KTM Commuter Train, disembark at the KTM Old Railway Kuala Lumpur Station located near the National Mosque

•Public taxis – Advisable to look for taxis that uses the coupon or meter system.

If you are driving

•GPS address: Bird Park

•GPS coordinates: N3 08.

parrot land

581 E101 41.294

•From Jalan Bangsar, head straight towards KTM Railway Station round-a-bout, turn left towards Masjid Negara

•From Jalan Mahameru, turn left into Jalan Parlimen. At traffic light, turn right towards the Kuala Lumpur Lake Gardens.

Admission:

Adults MYR 48, Children 3-12 yo MYR 38, children younger than 3yo: free

Substantial rebates apply for MyKad holders.

Website: http://www.klbirdpark.com/index.cfm
westwind57 says:
Thanks for the smile Jeremy, have a great weekend! :)
westwind57 says:
Harriet, thanks for the smiles and the comment... have a great weekend! :)
Africancrab says:
Thanks for sharing
northlight northlig…
escape the crowds in this small paradise Mar 31, 2010
Before my holiday to kuala lumpur. This park was high on my list of things to see and do during my six days here. I found their website on the internet, and was really looking forward to seeing the place myself. I got to the park from my hotel in the centre of kuala lumpur by using the kl hop-on hop-off bus. I think it is one of the more popular stops on the route. Entrance was around 24MYR which is very reasonable, and once you are inside you are free to walk around at your own pace and enjoy the peace and tranquility away from the traffic and busy streets of the city. There are so many different species of bird here. There is always something interesting to look out for. I spent around two hours walking around the park. There are places to grab a quick drink, a cafe, and toilet good toilet facilities available when you need to take a break. Of course when you would like to leave, you are directed through the gift shop, and its hard to avoid those impulse buys. I just picked up a fridge magnet and was on my way back to wait for the bus to continue my tour of the city. I recommend this as a must see if you have a few days in kuala lumpur, and would like to get away from the noise, traffic and crowded streets in the city centre.
Africancrab says:
Nice review
northlight says:
Its worth a visit!
Posted on: Apr 26, 2012
Seyyah says:
Good review. I hope i will have enough time and i will wisit there.
Posted on: Apr 26, 2012

Related Travel Blogs About Kuala Lumpur Bird Park

Travel blog so far
January 03 2007     Oliver. You’re late! Carl barked at me. We had scheduled a meeting to run through the current situation on the recruitment sales pipeline.  I checked my watch…parked all over this football pitch, doors and boots open blaring music. We took some beers and strolled out into the 200 crowed.   With in 6 seconds. I heard…
Dan, Ben and Steves tour of South East Asia 2002
Wednesday 3rd April 2002 After 10 uncomfortable hours on lufthansa’s finest 747 we landed at Hong Kong’s Chek lap kok airport at about 7am, unfortunately we’d had seats in the middle row so di…Kuala Lumpur . We arrived late afternoon and got a room at the Backpackers lodge in Chinatown . We went out to eat and then had a look around…
Brazil side of Iguassu falls
We found ourselves in the town of Foz Do Iguacu - the entrance to the Iguassu falls from Brazil. Our room, in Marica bed and breakfast is quite impressive, and the town itself is huge! A fast fact - …bird park we went to 5 years ago in Kuala Lumpur was spectacular and was one huge open…

Check Kuala Lumpur Hotel Deals