Kroombit Lochenbar Farmstay

Check Biloela Hotel Deals

Kroombit Lochenbar Farmstay Biloela Reviews

terri_casey terri_ca…
Rodeo Outback Taster Jan 04, 2013
Looking for something a bit different I embarked on an OzExperience bus out of MIriam Vale through the fields to the outback of Biloela - meaning white cockatoo in Aboriginee.

Unsure what to expect we arrived along this long winding dirt track outside a wooden shed where a huge pot was on a fire and smoke was billowing. A quick introduction and hearty lunch later our group were told about the activities on offer. These were quad biking around the property with a dip in the new beach, mustering goats on horseback and clay pigeon shooting. If you didn't want to pay to take part in any of these activities you were left to make your own entertainment.

I paid an extra $50 to go on the guided mustering trek. It was a lot of fun and I felt very free riding around the outback looking for goats to muster. THe team made it an enjoyable trip and although I feel it was money well spent I felt it was a bit steep on top of the $50 accommodation cost, $7 lunch and then drink costs in the evening.

No time for showering at this busy ranch. After the extra activities we walked up to the rodeo ground where we had mustered our goats too. The people who had paid for the clay pigeon shooting, $13 for 5 shells, did this whilst the remainder learnt how to lasso in preparation for later. Drinks were available at a cost throughout the activity.

Splitting into small teams we took it in turns to go into the arena amongst the 60+ goats to lasso, brand and remove the Billy's. Nerve wracking but fun. I wouldn't do it again.

Still no shower - off to the bar to buy drinks and eat a typical muster dinner of beef. Vegetarian options were available and very nice it was too. After dinner we were given a speech about the history of the cattle station and shown a demonstration of whip cracking.

Finally, mechanical bull riding competition. Nobody got passed the third round but it was very entertaining and there were alcoholic prizes for winners.

The dorm and beds were very cramped and 'buggy' but after so much action and adventure everyone drifted off to sleep quickly before being up at the crack of dawn for a cooked breakfast. It was definitely an experience.
Goat mustering on horseback