Kroller Muller Museum

Otterlo, Netherlands
BIG blue shovel
Kroller Muller Museum - Otterlo, Netherlands
nature building
Kroller Muller Museum - My pancakes and bacon on the way to the Kroller Muller.... can you find the bacon??
Kroller Muller Museum - We decided to look WISE also. LOL
not sure?? LOL
Kroller Muller Museum - Analyzes avg. water use per day

Kroller Muller Museum Otterlo Reviews

cavlizzy cavlizzy
Off the Beaten Path... but Worth it Jun 04, 2011
I would not have ever heard of The Kroller Muller Museum if it had not been for my Dad. He had been several times, and had plans to return. He loves art! And he loves to ride bicycles. (ill explain in a second)

The Kroller Muller Museum is located in Otterlo, Netherlands. We used our car and drove from Brussels. I can't remember exactly how long it took.... but several hours?

Once you get there, you have a choice of parking a bit outside the park for free and riding a bicycle in. They provide a whole bunch of bicycles for free. We would have done this just for the fun of it... many do... but it was sort of raining. But mainly our youngest was too little to ride a bike. I would guess the drive/bike to the museum from this point is about a mile.

Along the way we saw the biggest blue shovel. I called it the BIGGEST shovel in the world and MADE my husband stop for us to take a picture. (see pic)

The Kroller Muller is best known for its HUGE amount of Van Gogh paintings. I have read it has the 2nd largest collection.... second only to THE Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam. I believe it has about 295. I don't know how many of these are drawings vs. paintings. But they have both. The paintings are wonderful.

The day we were there they had a special exhibit on his sketches and drawings. Since they are so sensitive to light, they rotate them. Only a few are out a time normally. And very special ones are seen only occasionally. We were lucky to be there during this time. BUT I think they did this because that very morning about 30 key paintings had been shipped off for an exhibit elsewhere. So we missed one I would have to loved to see. (think it was Starry night?)

The collection also has a few Rodin's. And they have much sculpture. I am not too big on that, so we did not look at those really. They do have a wonderful Seurat painting called Can Can. If you are into Pointillism, this is one of his best I think. My children loved it.

There is a separate building that is nature related. I did not find it to be a big deal, but my kids liked it a lot. It gave them a break from paintings.

This is a wonderful museum! It has much to see and worth the trip. We had several meals along the way in the small towns that were very interesting. I ordered a pancake and bacon. WELLL,,,, check out the picture. That is what I got. We all got a good laugh over it.

I always enjoy the Netherlands..... every spot is special.

** I have photos of the bicycles and the walking paths..but still searching for them. Will add soon.
Otterlo, Netherlands
Kroller Muller BIG blue shovel
We decided to look WISE also. LOL
Kroller Muller not sure?? LOL
mariemak mariemak
Aug 13, 2006
The Kroller-Muller Museum is located inside the Hoge-Veluwe Park and both are quite the spectacle. The park is an amazing 55 square kilometer wildlife preserve, known for its free white bicycles available for visitors to tour the diverse grounds. The landscapes vary from lush forest to sand drifts in an instant and, if you are lucky, there are many deer and other animals with whom you may cross paths. Thankfully, the park is quite well organized with bicycle paths and the key sights are well indicated by signs so there is little risk of being lost in the wilderness.

The museum is inside the park and has an amazing collection of Van Gogh's (2nd largest in the world) as well as many other works by fabulous artists such as Renoir, Monet, Picasso, Lautrec, Gaugin, Rodin, and on and on. The Van Gogh's are arranged somewhat chronologically and those from late in his life, which are now the most famous, are all in one room and it is almost too much to take in. I had to sit down as I didn't know where to look! (The fact that there is seating available tells me I'm not alone). Definitely worth the trip!

Check Otterlo Hotel Deals