Kristians Monastiri

16 Neustiftgasse, Vienna, Austria
www.kristians.at - 01 5269448
Kristians Monastiri - appetizer of smoked duck breast with stewed plums and salad
Kristians Monastiri - entree of braised butternut pumpkin with leek risotto and Pecorino
Kristians Monastiri - hazlenut souffle and ice cream
Kristians Monastiri - appetizer of dueling soups - pumpkin
Kristians Monastiri - the restaurant - Kristian's
Kristians Monastiri - sour milk soup

Kristians Monastiri Vienna Reviews

LeighBR LeighBR
Fusion Cuisine / Nice Ambience Oct 26, 2009
Kristian's was close to our hotel and came recommended by the concierge. The restaurant was empty when we arrived and we were seated in the back dining room. As we filed to our table, the kitchen (chef included) smiled, said hello and nodded their heads in acknowledgement - I thought it a nice gesture. The chef is a young guy.

The restaurant is quite large and I think that at full capacity it could get quite noisy. It is set in part of an old monastery, completely refurbished and modified to house the restaurant. Typical architectual elements found in monasteries have been left intact, including many arches. The lighting is great - it's low and lends the atmosphere to romance.

This restaurant is a bit more upscale/not so casual. Also, it is a bit expensive. Do not expect to have a rushed meal. This restaurant is great for enjoying a nice meal with a few glasses of wine (their wine list is extensive!). There were only 2 wait staff working the entire floor (I think this might be the norm), so on a busy evening I do not know how service would be.

The cuisine is fusion. The items on the menu incorporate Austrian, Italian and international flavours and ingredients and present them creatively. It is gourmet. The presentation of the dishes is excellent. They are served in smaller portions, so 3 or even 4 courses would be a good idea.

I had a glass of sekt and the first course was sour milk soup. It was excellent, a sweeter flavour, definitely not what I was expecting. I ordered the smoked duck breat with stewed plums and salad as my appetizer, and for the entree I ordered braised butternut pumpkin with leek risotto and pecorino. Neither disappointed. The fusion of flavours was great. I decided on the hazlenut souffle and a glass of sweet wine for desert and was happy with another creative presentation. Everyone else's dishes looked delicious, too.

I would recommend this retaurant to others. We had a pleasant experience here and would return. The food was great.
sour milk soup
appetizer of dueling soups - pumpk…
appetizer of smoked duck breast wi…
entree of braised butternut pumpki…

Check Vienna Hotel Deals