Krepesz Cafe

253 Augusta Avenue, Toronto, Canada
www.krepesz.com - (416) 840-8930
Krepesz Cafe - Kurtos Kalacs!
Krepesz Cafe - A dessert palacsinta with nutella and sweet cottage cheese.

Krepesz Cafe Toronto Reviews

perfektewelle perfekte…
Krepesz Cafe: A Journey back to Hungary and the Good Old Days Apr 07, 2011
When I was in college, I studied abroad in Budapest, Hungary. I fell in love with the culture, the music, the people, and the food.

and then the semester ended. I returned to the states, and I couldn't find anything Hungarian anywhere.

Imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon a European Palacsinta cafe in Toronto. I nearly passed out with excitement.

As I peered at the menu, I became downright giddy. Chicken stew with Paprika palacsinta (crepes). Sweet Cottage cheese dessert palacsinta. Palinka. Seriously. PALINKA! The strongest alcohol that I have ever tasted, but a favorite amongst the Hungarians.

And then it happened. I spoke with the waitress and told her that I had lived in Budapest.

She disappeared, and when she returned she offered me a traditional Hungarian festival pastry, Kurtos kalacs or Chimney cake. She told me that I must know what it was and that I would greatly appreciate it if I had lived in Budapest.She didn't charge me for it as she was excited that I had known and loved her country.

It had been 2 and a half years. One bite of that delicious carmelized kurtos kalacs brought me right back to my time in Hungary. I could taste the Christmas Market. I could imagine that I was still strolling the streets of Budapest unraveling my kurtos kalacs one ring at a time.

I live 3 hours away from Toronto. I have to cross the border and wait in line and get grilled about the amount of countries that I have been to from government officials. I am peppered with questions about why I have two visas and a million stamps in my passport. And I'm usually rather exhausted when I arrive.

But guess what? The trip down memory lane, the attentive staff, and the delicious food make it worth it every time. and I do mean that. Every.time.
Kurtos Kalacs!
A dessert palacsinta with nutella …
palinka