Kowloon, Hong Kong

Kowloon Reviews

Japril Japril
Shopping in Mong Kok! Dec 10, 2009

Mong Kok in itself is pretty big, you must try the street food! There is tonnes to do in Mong Kok district - you can eat, game, go karaoke and shop (each building has at least 3 floors of additional shopping). A great place to go to!

One of my absolute favourite places in Hong Kong. Why? This is where "Ladies Street" is located, "Temple Street" is only a few blocks away as well as the "Flower Market and Yuen Po Street Bird Garden" which are side by side to each other!

It is also easily accessible by their transit system, the stop is called "Mong Kok" you can't miss it!

People call it "Ladies Street" or "Woman's Street" or "Woman's Avenue" because of the immense amount of shopping that occurs here. I believe the markets open up at 12pm. If you want to make it in and out, I'd recommend coming here early when it first opens. Though I always make my way here late afternoon into the evening as that's when you can see all the city lights and vibrant nightlife that occurs here. This way, you can hop on over to Temple street for their night market and great food!

If you head down to Ladies Street, make sure you keep an eye on your bags. I'm not saying it's not a safe area, but because it is so packed it's better to be safe than sorry! ALSO Ladies street isn't just for women, you can find ALL sorts of things here and make sure you walk behind the tents too as there are loads of shops which offer great deals. You can also try and get yourself a bargain here, if they accept - good on you! For the most part prices here are fairly reasonable so it's really not that necessary.

The Flower Market is such an exquisite place to be. If I lived in Hong Kong, I'd be there all the time picking out the freshest flowers and plants! There is huge variety of flora here, and during Chinese New Year and Valentine's Day this market is packed full of people! There were pots of orchids here that were sold for 30 HKD, that's $5 CAD! Needless to say, my Grandma was very pleased with me.

Not too far away you will see Bird Street or Yuen Po Street. It is a very popular outdoor market in Hong Kong, known for all the birds and its Chinese style garden park. Here they sell hand made bird cages, songbirds, hold bird shows, etc. It is really neat if you haven't seen anything like it before!

Happy Shopping!
mosted says:
nice review!
Posted on: Sep 02, 2011
Carrillo says:
thanks for the tips. im staying in Mong Kok so this was a lot of help thanks....
Posted on: Mar 17, 2011
dennisvanweeghel dennisva…
Kowloon Hong Kong Aug 03, 2009
Kowloon is gewoon gezellig druk. De mensen doen gewoon hun ding hier. Vooral op de markt kun je goed afdingen en leuke gadgets kopen maar ook basis dingen zoals kleding.

Related Travel Blogs About Kowloon

Dan, Ben and Steves tour of South East Asia 2002
Wednesday 3rd April 2002 After 10 uncomfortable hours on lufthansa’s finest 747 we landed at Hong Kong’s Chek lap kok airport at about 7am, unfortunately we’d had seats in the middle row so di…Kowloon , the airport had been air conditioned and we could feel the humidity as soon as we stepped out to the bus stop…
Hong Kong 2005
Alright, I will attempt to dig into my memory banks and come up with the detail on my Hong Kong trip I took with Looyi, Jimmy, and Shirley 3 years ago! Here we go!DAY 1 …Kowloon our expectations were pretty low. When we walked in, we were mesmerized. I mean, this place, unlike Kowloon
Summary of my time in Hong Kong
The trip really went well I believe. I actually avoided most of the "tourist" areas in Hong Kong and ate a lot of great food. Unfortunately the weather was against me (as it is in most of my trips)…Kowloon side. I also recommend seeing the light show from the Kowloon side (where we ended up at). Hong…

Compare Causeway Bay Hotel Rates (4km away)

Kowloon Map