Kopi Joss @ Tugu Station

Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Kopi Joss @ Tugu Station - Boiling water in Metal Kettle
Kopi Joss @ Tugu Station - Selecting a decent size of burning charcoal to add into the coffee
Kopi Joss @ Tugu Station - Here it goes...plop...sizzle sizzle..sizzle..
Kopi Joss @ Tugu Station - Voila... Kopi Joss
Kopi Joss @ Tugu Station - See the charcoal?
Kopi Joss @ Tugu Station - The straw mat are.
Kopi Joss @ Tugu Station - Coffee packets hanging on the wall

Kopi Joss @ Tugu Station Yogyakarta Reviews

MeiYen MeiYen
Kopi Joss @ Tugu Station May 09, 2010
We were told that in Java, we must try the “Kopi Joss”. Though I am not an ardent coffee drinker I would definitely like to try the “Kopi Joss” at least once to see what the fuss is all about. The area around the Tugu station seems to be the popular place for “Kopi Joss”. The coffee stalls start late evening and they do serve snacks as well. We were expecting at least a table by the road side and were pretty surprised when we arrived there and there were only straw mats on the pavement. So it seems, we will have to drink our coffee sitting on a mat by the roadside. There are lots of locals who would sit around there having their long coffee chit-chat sessions, but alas it is not for me, especially when I am wearing a miniskirt, rather hard to sit on a mat, will bear in mind to wear proper attire the next time. There are street performers who would come to your “mat” area and start performing and you will be expected to give them some money and there were plentiful of beggars constantly coming by begging for money.

Now, about “Kopi Joss”; it is just coffee powder with lots of sugar and the main highlight, Charcoal! Yes, a burning hot piece of charcoal dropped into the glass of coffee. The preparation of this coffee starts from the boiling of hot water in an old fashioned metal kettle, coffee powder and about 4 spoonful of sugar was scooped into the glass, selecting a piece of burning charcoal and then dropped it into the glass, voila.. I got myself a “Kopi Joss”. It is rather aromatic, burning hot and rather sweet. I might have gotten a sore throat from that but from what I heard about “Kopi Joss”, due to the charcoal it acts as a remedy for stomach acid, bloating and gas. Definitely worth trying, for the taste and the experience.
Boiling water in Metal Kettle
Selecting a decent size of burning…
Here it goes...plop...sizzle sizzl…
Voila... Kopi Joss
dkiat says:
Thanks for the share. Went there today to try the coffee at a small roadside warung :)
Posted on: Nov 09, 2011