Kootenai Wildlife Refuge

Bonners Ferry, Bonners Ferry, ID, USA

Kootenai Wildlife Refuge Bonners Ferry Reviews

X_Drive X_Drive
Jul 26, 2007
I’m not sure what I expected to see when I saw information on the Kootenai National Wildlife Refuge. Based on the name I think it was different than what I did see. Located in Idaho’s panhandle about five miles west of Bonners Ferry and 25 miles south of the Canadian border this 2,774 acre area, called mistakenly a refuge, was established back in 1965 as a habitat and resting area for migrating waterfowl. There are a couple of waterfalls but by mid summer they are little more than a trickle and the range said they were not worth the hike to get to them. The area is visited or home to 300 different species of wildlife. The name implies that it is a place providing shelter or protection from danger from the meaning of the word refuge. But we were handed a map which included all of the hunting blinds and regulations for hunting and fishing in the area. There is not protection or shelter from danger here for the wildlife. It is a wetlands area prime for the hunter of waterfowl. We saw very few birds and no animals in the hour we spent in the area, except for the many hummingbirds gathering at the feeder just outside the ranger station.
Open lands of the refuge
Wetlands of the refuge
Entry sign.
gentry591 says:
Loved your hummingbird pictures.
Remarkable to me is how many are in Arizonia-five or more species. Ann and I spent an aniversiary at a B and B in Madera canyon and the U of A were catching and banding them while we were there. After banding which does not hurt they release them but they placed on one Ann's hand and it just sat there for a full min. or two then flew off.
I had one sit in my hand when neighbors had one fly into a window and knocked itself out. Came to and gave it sugar water and he sat in my hand for min or so when we released it. Is really neat to hold something that small and then see it fly away.
Posted on: Nov 18, 2007
dahling says:
Oh that is terrible. I would think they would do something for the animals as well. Good to know, where not to go. Thanks.
Posted on: Nov 18, 2007