Kona Tau

Easter Island, Chile

Check Easter Island Hotel Deals

Kona Tau Easter Island Reviews

Vikram Vikram
It's a pot potpourri of sorts. Not the best hostel overall, but does enough to make it work! Dec 16, 2015
The more I spent time on Easter Island and the more I heard about other tourists and their experiences, I realised that there were lots of infrastructural issues with the island of which this hostel was a victim of - which is why this review will seem a lot more tempered that it would've been had I written this on the day after arrival.

Location - The hostel is located very close to the airport. It's literally a long street's walk away (not more than 10 minutes without luggage). That said, roads aren't well labelled so I'm sure even if we had our map printouts with us, we'd have had issues finding it (plus, the streets are deserted save for tourists so very few locals to ask around). However, this isn't really a concern because they offer both pickup and drop services. They buddy up with another hotel nearby and pick up passengers from both.

It's again parallel to the main road in Hanga Roa. Again, not the most impressive but as I learnt later, there are very few ho(s)tels on the main street anyway.

Hostel facilities: This would be the one big shortcoming of the hostel. Granted, the poor WiFi isn't their fault. it seems endemic in the entire island. However, whilst I had no issues with the creaky beds and the unpredictable shower (in terms of hot/cold water), I did have issues with the breakfast (they could've provided more than just 2 slices of bread and coffee/tea. How about some protein like eggs?). The next was the poorly stocked kitchen. It was not only small but impossible to find utensils, much less functionally working ones.

Plus, there are loads of chickens that wander around everywhere (careful when sitting on the deck outside, they might poop inside your wine!) and a stray dog that even entered the kitchen when we were cooking causing S to yell!

That said, the hostel by itself has this very nice laidback resort-y feel. There's a deck where you fantastic views of the plantation, and then wonderful exterior sitting areas everywhere. It's a great place to socialise!

Hospitality: This is where the hostel shines. The owner Diego is amazing - very friendly, down to earth and just COOL. He was extremely accommodating when we needed to stay 2 nights extra because of the airport strike.

So overall, whilst I heard some better facilities in other hostels around the island, I wouldn't discard this one with a 1/5 rating. It's average, but nothing to whine about.
The entrance of the hostel, with t…
My favourite view of the plantation
So that's the deck - great to lie …
Selfie on the deck
Vikram says:
Wish you dead?! Seriously. Nah mate - I'd never waste such strong emotion on someone I've never met or perhaps will never meet in this lifetime. That said, you're more than welcome to think of it as being fake, and me the arrogant American!
Polh says:
haha funny, I just replied to your bullsh*t comment towards me, as I don't understand English, believe me I only read your crap article one time and it was more than enough. It's not about what I want to hear or not, but I'm tired of American bullsh*t that we Europeans have to read on sites like tripadviser, Travbuddy etc,... always exaggerating about comfort being poor, food not being good, restaurants being expensive while their not more expensive then in our own country, and you just one of those crappy writers - ps Don't wish me happy travels cause you just wish me dead now cause you pissed someone stood up to your crappy article and your comments which are on the same level.
Vikram says:
i just love how you spent so much time reading and commenting on a review that you found cr*p. Lots of time on hand?! Anyway happy travels and hopefully you find some blogs that you really like (aka people say what you want to hear).

Check Easter Island Hotel Deals