Kokomo Island Cafe

8100 24th Avenue South, Bloomington, MN, USA

Kokomo Island Cafe Bloomington Reviews

alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
smoking drinks Jan 12, 2009
I stopped here with some friends after our wild ride on a rollercoaster. We had eaten earlier, so this stop was for drinks only. My friend talked about drinks where they use dry ice so the drinks look like mini fog machines. I was eager to have a smoking drink.

We were seated in the bar area with fun tiki lights and tropical decorations. It was a really fun atmosphere with "bamboo" woodworking and the football game on tv behind the bar. We didn't see any mention of smoking drinks in the menu so my friend asked about them. Our waiter told us that they could use dry ice in any drinks on the rocks. Amy and I ordered some mango drink that was the special of the day and the boys all ordered margaritas.

The drinks came out smoking or fogging (?) and were bubbling as the CO2 bubbled up and out. It was fun just watching the drinks. The drinks were okay but the fogginess made it worthwhile. We enjoyed our drinks and then left. I liked how it felt like we were not in the mall, even though the "window" was facing the concourse.
Tiki man near entrance
bamboo interior
fun lights
smoking drinks on the bar
pinchora pinchora
A little bit of Island goodness in the artic tundra Mar 07, 2008
So My friend and I were trying to figure out a place to go for dinner... I left my "best restaurants of the Twin Cities" magazine at work so we had to go somewhere both of us knew and could find our way to and from. We both have always wanted to go to the island restaurant on the Mall of America so we jumped in the car and headed over.

I was always wondering how it was because the Mall of America is the biggest tourist trap in the world. So I figured it could be absolutely wonderful or somewhat over rated! And guess what? It was absolutely wonderful!

For an appetizer we got coconut breaded shrimp... I've had that type of shrimp at Bahama Breeze (owned by the Olive Garden)... and they were delicious there... let me tell you though that the coconut shrimp at Kokomo's is even better... well, there wasn't as much shrimp. But the taste was amazing... you could actually taste the coconut rather than just tasting breading!

For my meal I got the Koko Chicken Salad. Now if a restaurant can perfect a salad then they're doing something right! The one thing I can't stand is a bland salad... one with just iceberg lettus and a splash of flare here and there... I had that once at Max and Erma's restaurant called the Hula Bowl...it was a mixture of romaine and iceberg lettus (which if I wanted iceberg I'd just order water) and it had about 4 strips of chicken, a couple manderine orange slices, a few chunks of pineapple and some carrot strips... but the majority of it was lettus.

But back to the review of Kokomo's... this was no ordinary salad! It had a huge piece of Chicken Breast that was breaded in the yummy coconut breading, romaine lettus, a generous helping of pineapple, strawberry's and mangos with the most delicious salad dressing I've ever had!

Finally, I've found my Salad Restaurant! Yay!
Brr.... it was cold!!!
pinchora says:
Oh I will definitely do that... I have never been to the rainforest cafe before! that chocolate dessert sounds just grand! Thanx for sharing! =)
Posted on: Apr 02, 2008
petrarchanprincess says:
I love Kokomo's! Also, you should go downstairs and go to the Rainforest Cafe and get the Lava Volcano chocolate dessert to share with some peeps...it's delish!
Posted on: Apr 02, 2008