Koh Tao Backpackers Hostel

Check Koh Tao Hotel Deals

Koh Tao Backpackers Hostel Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Koh Tao Backpackers Hostel Mar 30, 2013
KhoTao Backpackers Hostel was my first choice on the island because I could see their sign and follow the direction... Hostel is located in the alley between two streets that are full of restaurants, massage parlors and stores that sell to tourist. I am not sure but it looks like they are part of the dive shop at the entrance of the street (named like that stupid Pirates of Carribean character Davie’s Locker or something which tells about seriousness…), and they have certain discounts at the bar that is run by that dive shop. You can also use pool that belongs to the dive shop if they are not using it for their classes. Pleasure in staying at the hostel will cost you 300 baht, which translates to 10$ (please tell me again that Thailand is cheap…) and for that money you get good basic for sleeping and cleaning. They do have WiFi in all areas but it will be temperamental due to loss of power on the island.

Building is one story white slab on the road with three or four dorms that fit 6 people per room in the bunk beds. Beds and pillows are covered with plastic to prevent bed bugs from having their feast, and they are definitely noisy, uncomfortable and weird to sleep on. Rooms are equipped with AC and couple of fans so sleeping is at least not in your own sweat. Bunch of metal lockers makes sure that your valuables are still yours when you get back to the room. No matter how much you try in the end of the day room and your bed are filled with fine sand. Street is sandy so no matter how much you clean it is all over… Reception is on the prominent spot in the front of the door, but most of the time you’ll have to look for someone working but that is not that hard. Restrooms and bathrooms are relatively clean and there is hot water available. There is issue with showers and bathrooms and hostel owners posted funny posters about hot water and not throwing anything in the bathroom, but all of it is not explaining how to deal with issue or it is on the wrong side of the door… Therefore there is lots of misunderstanding with the stuff… For example I wanted to wash my stuff, and they offer laundry service for fair price. So I got bag full of dirty cloths, opened it and counted how many shirts and other things I have in the bag so that I know what I am giving away. Guy at the desk then refused to accept my stuff because that is not the way they “do things”… I washed it somewhere else, but I did not understand what was that issue all about.

Hallways are bare and in afternoons whole place smells like horses, but I haven’t seen one on the island. There is also a refrigerator if you need to put some of your perishables or drinks but it does not have much space. Hanging out space is limited to couple small benches across the alley and that’s it.

I did not have good feeling about this place and it did not change at all until I left. In general, it is survivable but ugly and not needed hostel. Go out and find some nicer place to enjoy this island. If you have friend or two with you just find beautiful cabana on the beach and relax.

Check Koh Tao Hotel Deals