Koh Nangyuan

Koh Tao, Thailand

Koh Nangyuan Koh Tao Reviews

louise2553 louise25…
Three small islands, connected by sand bars, just off the bigger island of Koh Tao May 27, 2012
Koh Nangyuan is a small island, well actually three small islands connected by sand bars, very close to Koh Tao on the Gulf of Thailand in Surathani Province. It is a short boat ride from Koh Tao, fare is around 100 baht each way and an entrance fee of 100 baht for foreigners and 30 baht for the locals, I got away with paying 30 baht :). But for our boat taxi we got duped, we paid 350 each roundtrip. It was way too much, cause we didn't hear it right (we heard 250), since at the other hotel 200/person roundtrip, so for us it was fine 50baht more is not bad. In the end it was bad, 350!!! We booked it at our hotel, with the middle man and the commissions so I guess it's always better to price around or just go to a boat (loads of them are lined on the beach) and work on the price with the driver. Wich we didn't do.

Non the less we got to Nangyuan in 15 minutes, the ride was a bit choppy, the sea was rough that day. But when we got to the island, it was so calm and so welcoming. We were so ready to get into the water and do some snorkeling. But before that we decided to go to the viewpoint.

The viewpoint was on the biggest island of the three, about 15 minute walk up on the hill, there was a proper path and steps, so it was not a hard walk but still it got me sweating like a pig and tongue out like a donkey on a desert in need of water. I need to exercise more for this kind of uphill walks. Then the steps ended replaced by boulders that you need to climb on to get to the spot, climbed with finesse, reached the spot and was greeted by a very beautiful view of the island below. It was picturesque! So what would you do, it was picturesque? We took photos, loads of them. Then we went down and did a walk around the island, there was a boardwalk. It was a nice walk.

We took some more photos, then after we decided to grab some lunch before we venture out into the waters. We went to the only restaurant on the island, the food was not bad, the prices were a bit much, well what do u expect the only restaurant on a small island, they can price it!

Walked to the sand bar, where there were chairs under beach umbrellas, they were for rent so we just laid our towels on the sand. All set for the water, we stripped down to our bikinis and took out our swimming masks. You can rent snorkelling gear for 150baht at the shop. We didn't this time, since we were there the other day when we went on the tour. I decided to just wade in the water and soak up some sun, as my friend ventured out to the Japanese garden (diving/snorkeling site).

Stayed almost two hours in the water...it was just heaven for me. I love the water! Then it was time to leave my island paradise. We went to the pier and waited for our boatt taxi, which by then we have realized that we have to pay him 350baht each...which was more than we initially thought. But it was all worth it!!! A nice way to spend a nice day :)
boat ride to the island, it took a…
the island
the island with the viewpoint
alexslo says: