Koh Kong River Side Guesthouse

Check Koh Kong Hotel Deals

Koh Kong River Side Guesthouse Reviews

kimpigott kimpigott
Guesthouse right by the river and close to market Jan 28, 2012
Ok so I knew the owner of this place through a friend at the border crossing so this place has a nice feel to it. Looking at reviews on Trip Advisor it doesn't sound great.

I'd gone past this guesthouse a few times and always wanted to stay there. It was well lit up (lots of fairy lights) and there's a nice feel when you walk up the stairs. The bar/restaurant over looks the river so the view adds to it.

The staff are really friendly although they know basic English so just to give you a heads up. The food is good here, had a couple of dishes that I was impressed with. Just a tip the cheaper meals are at the back of the menu.

So I stayed here 3 nights, it was through choice to stay here this long not because I was waiting for a visa or anything. I actually like this little town, even with not much to do it's not over run with tourists which is a bonus for me always.

The room itself, ok the matress was a sprung mattress so not the comfiest but they were clean and the bathroom was clean also. The rooms downstairs were the ones that had the bathrooms inside the rooms and the rooms with the shared bathrooms are upstairs. It's $6 for without the bathroom and $7 with. Just be careful with the locks, the outside lock is a sliding lock and you can lock from inside but I did go to leave one morning only to find I was locked in. Just a pre warning. This wouldn't deter me as I had the number for the guy that owned the place so he came to let me out. It was quite funny to be fair. There is a bit of noise early in the morning, if you sleep through noise then you'll be fine. These aren't bad points to the place as despite these I would still stay here again, it's just to give you a warning of what to expect.

Location wise you couldn't ask for better. It's right on the riverside, right next to the Canadia Bank (the only free ATM in Cambodia), 5 minutes walk from the nightlife and then a further 5 minutes to get to the market. Oh and there are 2 little mini marts on the river side street as well, just turn right when you come out and walk down towards the bridge and there's one on either side of the street.

There are 2 nightclubs - one called Pun Pun and the other called Pisey. You can always tell the clubs as they have a dozen fairy lights also outside. They are both Khmer clubs so hardly any westerners go in but they are great for a night out and chance to experience how they have a night out! To get to them, walk out of the guesthouse and turn right and then take the first right and walk up the street! You'll see Pisey on the left and then walk down a bit further to the end of the street and turn left and you will see Pun Pun. Pun Pun also has a live band that plays I think every night.

I do like this guesthouse, I've got some great friends here so would recommend this if you would like to see a bit of Koh Kong. It's not just about the visas here! :)

Check Koh Kong Hotel Deals