Kodama Sushi

(212) 582-8065

Kodama Sushi New York Reviews

toddster184 toddster…
Overpriced and Horrible Quality Food Nov 12, 2011
A friend and I tried Kodama because it was recommended BUT it failed to impress either of us. We are both sushi/sashimi fanatics and have probably eaten the same amount of sushi if we were living in Japan permanently. And this place was awful. I will never eat here again or recommend any one eating here. The decor was awful and tired. A greasy spoon in NY had seen better days; this one...not so much. The food was awful. Not one item on our plate was fresh. Fresh fish doesn't disintegrate when you pick it up from your plate. Fresh fish also doesn't drape your chopsticks as you dip it in the sauce. Fresh fish doesn't smell like fish, and fresh fish has a flavour. If you have to soak it in soy sauce doused with wasabi for it to drown the 'fishy' taste, you know it is bad. Even the cooked Tempura was wrong. Tempura looked like it was in a beer batter and tasted like it instead of the proper rice flour. The rice flour, if used, wasn't cold enough before the tempura was cooked. Tempura has to light and crunchy. This was rubbery! The only thing worthwhile eating was the bowl of rice - but who can get steaming rice wrong. You don't need a sushi master to cook the rice, but you do when you are serving sushi. And there is not one sushi master behind the counter and I'll leave it at that. The NY Times and every one who has recommended this place and given it a rave reviews should retract it if you don't want to be embarrassed. That or New Yorkers just don't know what quality and taste is when it comes to their food. Trust me, I once spent over $200 on a plate of amazing sushi while in Beverly Hills so I'd like to think I know my sushi. I've been to Japan and had fresh amazing sushi in the market. I'd even go so far as to say Whole Foods' over the counter sushi is better and the price is right. I will never eat here again or recommend any one to unless you are looking for punishment later from your stomach. My friend and I both got sick and we still are. BAD FOOD!

Check New York Hotel Deals