Kobma Thai

# Phone: (212) 645-8622

Kobma Thai New York Reviews

callmechia callmech…
Pretty disappointing Thai in the West Village Sep 05, 2009
We were in the West Village, we were hungry. So we just chose this place on a whim.

Let me start off by saying: I do not recommend this place. I've had worse food in my life, but the fact that this place is in the heart of the West Village (and there are so many other great places in the area to eat) makes me have to give this a negative rating. I don't even have a photo for this place, it made that little of an impression.

There were 5 adults and a baby (in a stroller) in our group. The staff did provide a highchair, however they made us leave the stroller in a different area because of fire hazard (meanwhile there was nobody else in the whole place, so this was unnecessary). The restaurant is divided into two sections, indoors (don't bother) and outdoors, which is good for people-watching. So, if you MUST eat here, sitting outside is a stipulation.

We had the Fried Stuffed Bean Curd with Peanut Sauce (terrible) and Spring Rolls (adequate). They don't have regular Iced Tea, so we had Thai Iced Tea, which was OK, but not great.

As for entrees, the portion size is great for the price, but the quality is severely lacking. We had Crispy Beef (soggy and terrible), Pad Thai (the worst I've ever had, it didn't even look like Pad Thai), Ginger Chicken (bland), Chicken with Basil Chili Sauce (passable). The only thing I found tasty was my Tofu in Green Curry sauce, but even that was spoiled by the fact that the veggies were slightly overcooked. Additionally, the entrees took FOREVER to come out, and we were the only customers in the restaurant!

The only redeeming thing about this place is the prices and the portion size. If you don't mind low-quality, bland, Americanized Thai food as long as you get enough to save for lunch the next day, then this is the place for you. Maybe we just didn't order the right things, but I wouldn't come back a second time to try different ones.

Basically, this place sucked. It could've been worse, but due to the fact that it is located in a great neighborhood with LOTS of cute, unique, BETTER restaurants, I simply cannot recommend Kobma Thai and I have to give it a more negative rating because of this. Check out 8th avenue in the teens if you're looking for great Thai in NYC... but that's for another review!

Check New York Hotel Deals