Kittatinny Canoes

www.kittatinny.com - (570) 491-2508

Kittatinny Canoes Matamoras Reviews

LawrenceDuLac Lawrence…
Camp on the Delaware River Jan 29, 2009
kittatinny Canoes consists of a large number of campsites at multiple sites along the Delaware River. The adventure I chose was to begin was at the Matamoras River Site to the Dingman's Ferry site- a 17 mile trip downriver, through several rapids- over a two day period. We were transported to the site upriver and outfitted with safety gear; loaded up our camping gear and headed down the river. Traveling downstream we saw some of the most beautiful scenery imaginable. We camped at a split in the river and spent a few hours swimming in the calm waters. The next morning while paddling- a black bear desiring to cross the river began to swim across- right in front of us! We were fortunate to be able to get as close as 5 feet to "him". Nothing to fear though- the water was deep and the the bear totally ignored us, instead focusing on the crossing. We also were fortunate enough to see an American Eagle actually snatch a fish from the shallows that morning as well. I have no photographs because later that morning- going through a series of rapids my canoe overturned, dumping my gear. I was able to locate and salvage a few items that day. PA park rangers called me several days later after their helicopter spotted a kayaker with a suspicious backpack on his deck. Officials sent a 4x4 to investigate and they located and recovered the backpack, ditched on a beach and found my name and KC Invoice in a side pocket.

I nor my partner were wearing our life vests. The couple in the other canoe backed away instead of coming to aid us in the water. If it wasn't for me being a strong swimmer, and having a little bit of luck- I and/or my partner would have drowned in the 9+ knot current. Learn from my mistake- wear your safety gear so you can live to adventure another day!
WaltJake WaltJake
Feb 26, 2007
Kittatinny Canoes is right off of Interstate 84 as you go into PA from NY. You can take a canoe or tubing trip down the Delaware river. They also offer and overnight camping/canoe trip that is pretty cool. What you do is, go to the campground and set up, and leave your car there. Then, they drive you north about an hour or so, then put your canoe in the water (they supply the canoe and life jackets and paddles, you bring lunch/ cooler) You paddle (or drift) for 5-8 hours depending how fast you want to go and how often you stop to swim, picnic, whatever. You arrive back where you started and camp for the night. Then, the next morning, you put out again and go father downstream, to a predetermined destination where they pick you up and bring you and the canoes back to the camp. Ideal if you like to canoe & camp but don't want to bring all your gear in the canoe with you! If you flip, all you risk is the cooler! It's right near where New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania all meet. If you don't want to do the overnight trip, you can do either end of the river as a day trip. North gives you the more exciting rapids, south is the more leisurely drifting experience ideal for beginners. Check it out this summer!

Check Matamoras Hotel Deals