Kings Arms

Monkton Farleigh, England

Kings Arms Monkton Farleigh Reviews

five11d five11d
Killer Gastropub in the Boonies Jun 06, 2008
If you have never been to the thriving metropolis called Monkton Farleigh, well the King’s Arms Gastropub is one hell of a good reason to visit. Seemingly in the middle of nowhere, Monkton Farleigh is just outside of Bath on the road between Bathford and Bradford. Get on that road, look for the signs, avoid oncoming traffic in the middle of the road for a mile or two, and turn left at Monkton Farliegh’s only intersection... you can’t miss it. Ok, now I am just being a big city snob, they have an intersection AND a fork in the road. Bustling, I tell you.

We went there on the recommendation of the folks at our favorite pub in Bathford and have been grateful ever since. The pub’s beautiful stone building belies the relatively modern and clean interior. This isn't your typical pub with low light, lower ceilings and that lovely dankness that is so pitch perfect in most pubs. This place even has a huge parking lot and a wonderful outdoor seating area. How often do you find that in England?

Seated in the old and monstrous fireplace, my family and I enjoyed an incredibly well prepared meal. Again, not your typical pub grub. Not one of us had any thing from the deep fryer! Instead, we had out of this world pork belly perfectly prepared on a mash of something from the root family (but it wasn’t potatoes), stellar sea food linguine, wonderful mussels and literally best hamburger I have tasted in ages. They had quite a few other wonderful things on the menu, too. Obviously, they had good beers/ales on tap but they also had a quite a wine list, and reasonably priced at that. Four of us shared a nice bottle of wine and a couple of hand pulled local ales. Service was friendly if not exactly traveling at the speed of sound. So what, it was a pub, it is supposed to be relaxed.

Honestly, if you are ever in the Bath area, this little pub is well worth the quick visit into the country side. Stop in on your way back from a visit to the Cotswold’s or make the quick drive from town. And have a Hobgoblin for me!

Compare Bradford-on-Avon Hotel Rates (5.6km away)

Kings Arms Map