Kilnsey to Bolton Bridge

Grassington, England

Kilnsey to Bolton Bridge Grassington Reviews

davidx davidx
YD8 - Down the Wharfe Oct 30, 2010
I know I am giving 5* each time on these YD reviews but I simply love the Dales and this is great country with many features of interest. We are coming down the B6160 on the right bank of the Wharfe from Kilnsey Crag. Opposite to us is Conistone, where one of my colleagues died caving when floodwaters rose.

On to Threshfield where we turn left and cross the river to the delightful mining village (once) of Grassington, perhaps the most tourist-haunted village of the Dales. Near it on the left bank of the Wharfe is Grass Wood, a Site of Special Scientific Interest, because of its limestone-loving flowers. Through pretty Linton and Hebden to Burnsall (check price before parking!) and go up to the small village of Appletreewick, as good as its name! Nearby try and see the fabulous narrow ravine of Trollers Gill (haunted by the Barquest -of course!)

I love the unclassified road on the left bank but the main road is easier and faster. Try to see 'The Strid'. This is a stretch of the Wharfe which is VERY narrow and fast with caves below the surface. be careful because it has ben the site of fatalities.

Before long you will come to Bolton Abbey, now what was the nave of the priory (saved at the dissolution because it had served as the parish church) and ruins of the rest. Pam was trying to explain to our youngest grandson, when he was 4, about the tombs in a non-frightening way. 'Ah,' he said 'an old building site. A large expanse of green falls to the river and there are stepping stones near to a shallow bit of river where children can paddle safely.

Check Grassington Hotel Deals