Kiin Kiin Modern Thai Cooking

Guldbergdade 21, Copenhagen, Denmark

Kiin Kiin Modern Thai Cooking Copenhagen Reviews

tj1777 tj1777
Kiin Kiin – the best Thai restaurant in the world Jan 15, 2013
The Thai kitchen is well known around the globe – but most of the Thai restaurants seem to base their cooking at the street food tradition of Thailand – so most of the Thai restaurants will make good every day food for a reasonable price. Only very few will try to take the Thai food a step further to the gourmet style kind of market. One of the very few restaurants - which actually take the Thai food very seriously and try to do the same to Thai food as so many places around the world do to French or Italian cooking - is Kiin Kiin. The food at Kiin Kiin is high quality modern Thai cooking which has earned the place a restaurant a Michelin star as the only restaurant in the world focusing on Thai food.

Ordering at the restaurant is pretty simple – you don’t have much choice – they only do their full menu. The menu consist of 8 snacks to start you off follow by the 8 actually dishes. So you will get a lot of variety during the meal and some of the food will be like no other Thai food you have ever encountered since it is unique to this restaurant. The food is presented in an interesting fashion including some of the small snacks coming in on a tray covered with stones – or a couple of small sausages coming on a bamboo leave with a special effect in the form of a bit of smog which is supposed to resemble the Bangkok smog.

The interesting effects continue with the mains which include a couple of soups – of which one of them is frozen. Given you have to go through 8 dishes and 8 snacks the individual dish can be a bit small but you will get filled up eventually when you go through it all. Along with the meal they have designed a wine menu which you can go for – or just order specific wines.

The food was generally very good and innovative – unfortunately the service was lacking a bit. There were a couple of mix-ups like our waiter didn’t ask if we wanted something to drink with the snacks so after a while we just asked ourselves for drinks and they did arrive fairly quickly. Another thing was they did give a broken teacup and hesitated to change it even after it was pointed out to the waiter – not until they saw it was actually leaking a bit they. In an average restaurant I would tend to just ignore these kinds of things – since it might be what I expect can happen. But at a place like Kiin Kiin I expect a bit more considering the style of cooking they want to represent and the price they charge for the food.

Reservations are not always essential but the restaurant is generally pretty full so it is advisable to reserve in advance.
Prawn cracker
Cashew merange
Lotus roots with lime leaves
Another small bite
vulindlela says:
Congrats!
halilee says:
Congrats on your featured review!
bigmac993 says:
Congrats on your featured review!
gingerbatik gingerba…
Award winning Thai restaurant in Copenhagen Nov 03, 2012
Kiin Kiin is modern Thai Restaurant in Scandinavia and the only one in the world, which awarded “Michelin” award. The restaurant located within easy walk in city centre.

The restaurant itself quite small (two storey), but decorated beautifully with modern Thai design, we have cozy sofa bamboo to seat and cuddle up with plenty of soft cushion and candles light and away from prying eyes of other dinners.

When we arrived, the service was okay; they lead us to our table and gives the only menu which consist of 8 snacks and 8 set menus and wine matching.

The food arrived pretty quickly and we don’t have time to discuss or taste the food properly as it was coming one after another quickly. A couple of times I haven’t eat my food yet and another plate already arrived. In addition to this, the waiter didn’t offer any drink until a couple of snack plates and it was more than 10-15 minutes, which I finally called the waiter and requested a drink.

Some of the food were good but I felt cheated when tom yum soup arrived and it was only water without any seafood in it. What’s in the world going on …. I expected to have some fish, prawn and mushroom on it but it was only water with slightly spicy ginger and galangal taste.

The “Tomka” soup was not soup as it was frozen (icing) and cold and no meat in it. The risotto and pork were too sweet to my liking and I think I can cook better than that.

Another thing I don’t like where the waiter gives me a broken cup and when I told him that the cup were broken, he said that all the cup design like that and it wasn’t broken and he swear on it. So, I fill in the cup with tea and the cup was leaking and makes a mess.

I think the service of this restaurant is really bad considering this is an expensive and an award winning restaurant. I will definitely not going back to this restaurant, as I love traditional Thai food without twist on it.
cashew merengue
prawn cracker for two
lotus roots with lime leaves for t…
don't remember what it's but the f…
ilserita says:
Congrats on being featured! :)
Glynnes says:
Congrats on being Today's Featured Travel Review.
Ils1976 says:
Congrats on today's feature!

Check Copenhagen Hotel Deals