Kiev, Ukraine
044 254 2257

Kiev: Saint-Sophia Cathedral and Related Monastic Buildings, Kiev-Pechersk Lavra Reviews

liekevo liekevo
Unesco World Heritage Sites in Kiev Aug 20, 2007
I didn't actually visit the Saint-Sophia Cathedral, because I didn't have enough time left. But the outside of the cathedral looked very nice.

I did visit the Pechersk Lavra, that is really worth visiting. You can visit one of the churches. There was a museum we visited and there was an exibition with miniatures. We walkes around the buildings and after visiting the museum we went to the caves. Do remember to take appropriate clothing with you when you visit it in the summer, i think legs have to be covered over the knees and shoulders have to be covered, but I'm not sure (to long ago ;)). Women have to cover their hair, but you can buy shawls there if you don't have any.

The caves are interesting to see, there are monks "burried" there in coffins, most totally covered in cloths, but some times you can see a hand. Before you enter the caves you can buy candles, which you do need because there are no lights in the caves. There are two cave systems the far and the near caves.

Unfortunately I haven't got any pictures, because my camera broke down during my holiday.

Check Kiev Hotel Deals