KhmerWays Moto Adventures

www.khmerways.com - +855 (0) 89 94 68 32

KhmerWays Moto Adventures Siem Reap Reviews

JackGr JackGr
Magnificent Moto -ing even for beginner Jun 30, 2013
By far, this day of moto tripping on the backroads of Siem Reap was one of my most memorable times in Asia. I'm about 5'0" and was easily able to ride their bikes through all the backroads of dirt with potholes and water, and I've only ridden in dirt a handful of times. The guides were very friendly and helped me get started when I had a hard time getting through one pothole.

We opted for the 8 hour tour, a mere $50 of awesomeness. Our guide, a small guy with tons of tattoos (later I found out these were Sanskrit tattoos of Buddhist mantras and whatnot)- took us all over. At one point we hiked up to some ruins on this super steep stair hike (the not highlight of the ride- it was beautiful, but it was also August and really hot and I was dehydrated). The guide bought us some drinks afterward and had us back on the bikes within the hour . After that we went by some other ruins and met a monk and some kids, we asked to stop and take some photos of these lily ponds at a pretty area, and we rode past dozens and dozens of homes filled with waving kids. Eventually it started pouring in the afternoon and my bike ran out of gas. Really quickly, the guide was able to siphon off gas from his tank with his mouth and some plastic hollow tubing he had (hard core) and we got to a filling station/someone's house where he knew would sell gas. We had a bbq lunch waiting for us at an amazingly serene reservoir with a bunch of cows grazing nearby. I actually got spooked when I was peeing in the bushes and heard some huge footsteps in the brush, only to come out ready to fight a cow and not a bush- lurker. We stopped by the guide's parent's house, where his mom was actually planting rice, and his sisters were busy making cane sugar candies underneath the platformed house. By the end of the day we were soaked through, but we did have ponchos we got to wear, but it was just pouring, and the only scary part was riding down the paved road at the end when the lightning/thunder was going. It was super exciting, but also frightening for this inexperienced rider/nature-goer.

This trip was by far the most close to the community I've ever felt while traveling as a foreigner. When i visited a friend going Peace Corps and stayed for two weeks in rural paraguay, I had a similar experience, but without that personal connection its sometimes hard to feel like you really got to see how people live. This ride not only showed us how people work, socialize, pray, but also gave us a broader picture of a town that's really well known for its unesco world heritage sight. What a treat!

Check Siem Reap Hotel Deals