Khaosan Tokyo Asakusa Annex

Check Tokyo Hotel Deals

Khaosan Tokyo Asakusa Annex Reviews

Zan5hin Zan5hin
Best hostel in Tokyo Apr 23, 2010
Sitting here again righy now. Last year stayed for 5 weeks in a capsule, which is like a big coffin with a sliding door, for privacy and more quiet then normal bunk room. Very comfortable and good value for 2500 yen a night. With great common room, fast wifi, 10 computers and best of all, a khaosan bar down the road to meet other travellers. Staff are also great. Tip: book through khaosan website directly, then purchase a UTELS card at reception for 200 yen and you get 10% discount!
ophirh ophirh
Great place (though there is a big warning here!!) Oct 10, 2009
My review of the Annex is very mixed. I think it's an amazing place to meet fellow travelers and also it's very well located. It's in Asakusa area, very close to the train station, though in a quiet place, and from there it's a short trip to every where in Tokyo. They also have their own bar next to it, which is a great place to meet people.

The internet is for free which is also great, and the staff are ok (depends which ones).

The only bad thing is that they suffer (at least right now - October 2009) from bed bugs. The second floor with the "deluxe" beds (the cabin ones) are full of bugs, and almost everyday the staff are trying to kill them, but they still bite. I was there 8 days (6 in september and 2 in october) and in the 2 days in october i got bitten like hell. I heard it spread to other rooms which are normal dormitory. I really hope they will succeed in fighting this problem because it is an amazing place, and if i will travel again to Japan I will want to come back there.
travel_elana says:
Eww, I'm glad I didn't stay at Annex. That's disgusting. I had way too many problems with Smile, I would never stay at Khaosan hostels. The only way to get rid of bed bugs is to ditch the mattresses and fumigate the rooms, you can't just try to kill them, as they bury deep into the mattresses.
Posted on: Nov 10, 2009
James1985 James1985
One of the best hostels ever Jan 23, 2009
We stayed in the annex for 7 nights in all and it was amazing.Finding it from the metro was really quite easy and when we arrived they were really helpful in getting us settled.

We got kind of the capsule beds that you see in Japan but they were slightly different.More like cabin beds.But they were great because you could lock all your things in there and when sleeping lock all the light out.

The facilities it offered were great,free internet and wifi,big common room,bike rental,free umbrellas,loads of info on things to do,kitchen and they arranged lots of party type things which is cool if you like that sort of thing.

It was the heapest hostel around aswell but that doesnt matter because it was still a really really good hostel.Il stay there again in a shot!
travel_elana travel_e…
Horrible with rude staff Nov 10, 2009
This is the worst hostel I've ever dealt with. I made a reservation a few hours before I stayed there. As such I didn't have the opportunity to print out a map with the location. There were no directions given to get to their hostel, so I called for directions. The lady on the phone **refused** to give me directions. How hard is it to say "go over the bridge, make a slight right, go through x lights, turn left" etc. I was pretty adamant about her just giving me directions (I called three times and asked for them each time, and each time she told me the same thing) but she said no, I can't give you directions. She told me to go to the police station, and they would give me a map with the location marked. I asked where the police station was, and she told me I needed to ask someone to point me to it. She couldn't even tell me how to get to the police station!! Then I found the police station, and not only did they not have a map to give me of the hostel, they had no idea where it was! They had to pull out a street atlas and look it up!

Then they lied about their location on their website. They said it was about an 8 minute walk from the station when it was more like 15-20 minutes. If I had known how far away it was, I never would have stayed there. I only booked this place because I wanted something relatively close to a station and convenient to the airport.

Those were just the beginning of my problems. Now the hostel is claiming I did not stay there, and is charging my credit card for the full amount of the room as a no-show. I told them they can't do that because I stayed there, but they don't have a record of it for some reason, so I'm going to have to go through the lengthy process of disputing the charges with my credit card.

I will NEVER EVER say in any of the Khaosan hostels ever again. Too much trouble and frustration to deal with. I don't recommend anybody stay there, because they might try to screw you over too.

This is one of the worst places I've ever been and THE worst place I've dealt with management.
Lasttraveller Lasttrav…
Affordable Tokyo hostel Oct 02, 2009
I came here twice, the area has a charm to it and ok little bar down road owned by the hostel. There is also a 100yen shop just around the corner and is very handy as open 24/7. Free internet and they have so many computers but is crowded, should be seeing city! I recommend this but if you want to go to nightclub you will need to do all nighter its 30mins across to Shibuya, Asakusa is ok, nice places to eat near station. there are maps and information at the desk which you can take with you are are handy for getting around Tokyo.

They have many chain hostels so you might want to check those out too.
Smile bar, other bar down road
lee-81 lee-81
Cheap hostel in tokyo Oct 06, 2007
I've read a few reviews of the Khaosan hostels in Tokyo and they seem to vary quite a bit, I think what you've got to remember is your staying in a HOSTEL not a HOTEL there is a world of difference.

The hostel itself is the back streets of Asakusa which i think is a fantastic place to stay as it's far enough away from the hustle of down town that you can escape the crowds. It takes about five minutes to walk to the station and about seven to get to the senso-ji temple and the market that leads up to it. Its also right near the river where you can take a ferry trip, We took one to Tokyo bay on the futuristic Himiko ferry, very cool.

The hostel was a million times nicer then the one we had just come from maybe thats why opinion of the Khaosan is quite high. The ground floor is a big communal area with sofas and chairs arranged around a big TV they have a dvd player and a selection of films that can be watched for free. It's a good place to hang out and meet fellow travelers and make friends especially in the evening when there are lots of people have a cheap night in. There is a kitchen are with all the essentials, i never used any the stuff so I've no idea of the cleanliness. They have about eight pc's that are free to use 24 hours a day, they also have a few headsets so you can talk over the net and they wireless connection to. They have a pay telephone in lobby which we couldn't get to work during are stay, we found another pay phone on the street about one min walk from the hostel which i preferred as it was more private. To find this pay phone turn left out of the hostel follow the road take the first left down the side street the phone should be on the opposite side of the road. Back to the hostel the ground floor is also where the showers are there are four or five cubicles on the ground floor i think some of the other floors also have showers to. I can't really comment on the staff as i never had any need to deal with them other then checking in and out. There are a few lockers to store your valuables which i guess you can pay to use.

Our room was on the first floor it was a four bed dorm which we shared with one stranger who we never got to know as he always seemed to be asleep. The room was of an average size for Tokyo it had two bunk beds with enough room at the end of them to store your stuff the only other things in the room where plug sockets and a light. I guess my only complaint would be that the dividers for the rooms are a bit thin which can be a bit annoying when you've two Dutch guys who like to have a hearty conversation and the ungodly hour of 6am.
The hostel.