Khan el-Khalili

Cairo, Egypt

Khan el-Khalili Cairo Reviews

AlexFrank AlexFrank
Old Market in Cairo Jun 17, 2011
This is a pretty awesome, place to visit. Their are really old shops and places to buy stuff here. My favorite is the Al-fershwa(sp) restaurant/shesha cafe out in the middle of the market, very traditional, def and experience. Also, their is a really really nice/clean restaurant called Naguib Mahfouz cafe, its in the middle of of the khan, and its a whole different world compared to the rest of the Khan. This is where you go if you need to use the restroom.
shopping in the khan
Random shop area
Al-Fershwe
AlexFrank says:
good question...I know he used to frequent it, so their is A connection, not sure if he was an owner of some sort.
Posted on: Jun 17, 2011
vances says:
Is there any connection with Naguib Mahfouz, or did they simply name it after him?
Posted on: Jun 17, 2011
emmyc4 emmyc4
Khan el-Khalili Jan 27, 2011
The famous Khan el-Khalili bazar in Cairo! I could not wait to get there, only to be very disappointed in the place. The sight is great and worth to visit as for window-shopping. However, the prices are really very high, all the shop owners know that only tourists will come here to actually buy things, therefore their starting prices are as high as the stars. If you have endless patience, you can try and haggle the price down, but I think it is just easier to go to a local shop instead, and get all the thing cheaper.
Johnpro Johnpro
The Egyptian Souk ! Apr 08, 2010
During our trip we visit and this old market , oldest yes but not the better where I seen in the middle east !

Khan El Khalili is the oldest and largest outdoor street market in old Cairo found at the venues of El Hussein and El Azhar historic destricts in Cairo. Khan El Khalili goes back to 1382 when Prince Djaharks el-Khalili built the khan which means caravansara under the Burji Mamluk Sultan Barquq while it has undergone many changes since then. It was also known as the Turkish Bazaar at the time of Ottoman reign.

Khan El Khalili is a beautiful antiquated rare market place, with this old feel and it is actually a great place if you want to go for some oriental souvenirs shopping or buy gifts for yourself or friends and family on your return back home. Practically speaking that’s the place where you’ll find your Shisha, Galabeyas, accessories, lanterns, amazing fragrances and spices...etc. around every corner and open alleys of Khan El Khalili, with a wide variety of opposite things all in one place. It’s got this oriental appeal, pretty ancient old walls, Islamic history and architecture, with so many beautiful colors of different items and products to purchase.

Also waist some time for a tea in the local coffee shops and lounge around the square :)

Some photos to have a look !
Hossam Hossam
The Khan and old Cairo Dec 21, 2009
Khan Al-Khalili is located in Islamic Cairo, it's the biggest Cairo open-air bazaar that filled with alot of shops, belly dancing costumes stores and silver jewelry stores.In addition to shops, there are a lot of coffeehouses "qahwah" where you can hang out with friends and smoke some she'shea "Hooka".The coffeehouses are generally small and traditional, serving Arabic coffee "Ahwa Turky"."Qahwet el Fishawy" is the most famous coffeehouse.

I've taken these pictures the other day of the Khan and old Cairo hope you like them , this place is such a beautiful place at night.
El Huseen mosque
me and Susanne

Related Travel Blogs About Khan el-Khalili

Pancakes in Khan el-Khalili
My second day in Cairo. The locals call the city Masr. It was a wonderful day, but it was also the hardest day I ever had on a trip!It must have been the sudden heat and the crowdedness of Cairo, for…Cairo. The medina ( Khan el-Khalili ), also used as a bazar. A taxi brought us to the northern gate (or so we thought…
First impression of Cairo
Our first day in Cairo was very overwhelming. We checked in at a hostel in the old Cairo area called Arabian Nights. The neighborhood looks very intimidating and very poor. The hostel turned out to b…Khan El-Khalili bazaars, Cairo's best known tourist markets. Every since our plan landed in Egypt, I was very…
Back to Cairo
We made it back in to Cairo at about 8:00 AM.  We took the metro from the train station back to our hostel, and dropped off our things so we could walk around the city.  I had called a frie…Khan el Khalili, which is a huge bazaar in Cairo.  We walked around there for a while and checked…

Check Cairo Hotel Deals