Kelley Hotel Army Lodging

Check Stuttgart Hotel Deals

Kelley Hotel Army Lodging Stuttgart Reviews

jennjeff1 jennjeff1
Average Military Lodging with Hit or Miss Staff Dec 10, 2010
Kelley Hotel Army Lodging in the town of Mohringen in Stuttgart, Germany is located in a high-rise building with a glass walkway between two wings.

HISTORICAL NOTE: Kelley Barracks and Kelley Hotel are named for Medal of Honor recipient (posthumously) Staff Sergeant Jonah Edward "Eddie" Kelley, 311th Infantry, 78th Infantry Division, for valiant action the night of 30-31 January 1945 in Kestrich, Germany, according to the Department of the Army General Orders (DAGO) on the sign across the street from Kelley Hotel. (See photo attached)

Once I got past the lack of a process to get a receipt so the Army could reimburse my outbound travel expenses, check in/out was a breeze but the lack of an Army process to pre-pay in advance for the room made it near impossible to get reimbursed. The staff was not knowledgeable enough to find a way to let me pay in advance.

The problem I had was trying to get paid by the Army system for my stay, because when you move away from Germany, you have to take your receipt to the Housing and Finance offices in Stuttgart (on separate posts across town) before you depart the country—but the Army Lodging system will not let you pay in advance to get a receipt to get reimbursed for your hotel room! If I am departing Germany, I will likely not have a car since it must be shipped out as well. If you give them your credit card to pay for the room in advance, the desk manager says they can’t run your card until you check in to the hotel—they have to “fake” the system by checking you in for the night that you make the reservation to get a receipt you can take to Housing and Finance. How screwed up is that?

I filed an ICE complaint about the lack of a process to get a paid receipt in advance of your stay at Army Lodging so you can receive your Temporary Lodging Allowance entitlement but I got no response. Good luck!

On another occasion, the staff at Kelley Hotel was very helpful when we needed to borrow a set of bedding/sheets for a week. Rumor has it that some staff are good and some are bad—as a customer who observed this first-hand, I can corroborate these rumors.

PLUSES:

+ Rooms were big enough for all of our 7 pieces of luggage and 5 carry-ons for our international move

+ The room safe was HUGE for all of our important documents and electronics!

+ Big refrigerator and freezer for a hotel room with microwave

+ 2 Double beds

+ Convenient location on post

MINUSES:

- Desk staff hit or miss

- No process for advance payment

- Worst/thinnest pillows (even doubled up) ever!

- Remote for TV did not match the TV brand in room so no working remote

- Burned out light over vanity not repaired made shaving difficult

- Front desk unable to refund broken vending machine—had to wait for Shopette opening hours

- Contractors taking up valuable space for military members/families/reservists

WARNING: Do not use the FMWR Airport Shuttle unless you book about 4 hours earlier than you want to get to the airport. I gave myself 2.5 hours and we barely made it due to a late arrival and having to pick up additional passengers before going directly to the Stuttgart Airport. We ended up being the last people in line for our full flight to Atlanta—with all of our moving luggage and carry-ons. UGH! I filed an ICE complaint about this as well and got no response from Army Lodging or Stuttgart Housing Office.

Since we will never go back to Germany, we will likely not stay at Kelley Hotel in the future. They just built a new hotel on Panzer Kaserne which is bigger and collocated with most in-processing functions for the Stuttgart area. Kelley Hotel should be reserved for those in/out processing a job at Kelley Barracks, reservists and TDY military who are working on Kelley, never any contractors or leave guests.

Army Lodging is usually just OK--Air Force Lodging is MUCH better!
thecpaw says:
Stayed at Kelley Lodge in Stuttgart Germany at Kelley Barracks. If you can get accommodations, get them fast, just sat back and relaxed for 2 weeks. Treat yourself to the Kelley Club just next door, really inexpensive and great food.
Posted on: Oct 30, 2012
nik2blessed says:
sounds like much, everything works out!
Posted on: Apr 24, 2011
X_Drive says:
Sure glad I don't have to go through all that paperwork problem on my trips. :)
Posted on: Apr 19, 2011