Kelebek Cave Hotel & Pansiyon

Check Goreme Hotel Deals

Kelebek Cave Hotel & Pansiyon Goreme Reviews

spocklogic spocklog…
Family Run Cave Hotel in Cappadocia Feb 19, 2011
I did some research online before my journey to Cappadocia. Kelebek has an attractive website that is easy to navigate. They have pictures of all 36 rooms with a breakdown of price, type of room and bed. I found this extremely helpful in making my decision. It looked like a very nice place with reasonable prices. They also offered a shuttle service to and from the airport for a reasonable 10 euro each way, considering it is a 45 min trip from Kayseri airport to Goreme.

I was not disappointed with my choice. The Kelebek hotel, located in Goreme, has a perfect location overlooking the valley below with picturesque views of the cliffs and fairy chimneys that the Cappadocia region is known for. It is a family run business, on the grounds of what used to be the family home, and it has that cozy homestyle feel. Feray, one of the owners of the establishment is a very friendly person with an engaging sense of humor. I liked him immediately upon meeting. We arrived via the shuttle at Kelebek in the late morning. As our rooms were not ready yet, we were offered to have some breakfast (at no charge) in the hotel common area which consists of a dining room, bar and relaxation area with a TV and collection of travel books. There are computers available for internet access there, but wifi is free in this area if you have your own devices. The breakfast was quite good with a selection of dried and fresh fruits, cereals, yougurt and pastry. Hardboiled eggs are available, but they will also make fried ones for you on request. It is a nice spread of food for the traveler to fuel up on for a busy day of touring. After finishing breakfast we visited Feray in his office to discuss our options for touring about the area. He was very helpful in his suggestions and providing us with useful maps, brochures and restaurant recommendations.

At this time our rooms were ready and we were eager to see our accommodations. The rooms are a mixture of cave style and stone-arched, which can be selected from the website before arriving. The rooms are spacious and clean, and many come with a fireplace that you can use. A stack of wood and lighting instruments are included. The room I stayed in didn’t have a television or phone, but that was not a concern for me. These are available in the common area anyway. Also, some rooms have windows, but others in the interior do not, with only a small window near the door to the outside courtyard. Again, you can determine this from the pictures on the website and choose accordingly to your desire before you book a room. Concerning the bathrooms, mine was rather small, almost like a walk in closet size, but a friend and his wife had quite a large sized bathroom in their room. It largely depends on where your room is located I think. Other than that, they were clean enough and the water was hot. I don’t need much more than that.

The owners and staff were always available and willing to help when needed. I arranged my Balloon trip with Butterfly Balloons through the hotel (See my review on Butterfly Balloons). They have a collaboration of sorts I think. In fact, Kelebek means Balloon in Turkish. I really can’t say enough good things about my experience with Kelebek. While it is not a luxury hotel with all the amenities, it is a genuine family run establishment that prides itself with service and comfortable accommodations. As a helpful hint, they do offer a 10-15% discount if you pay cash. This can be a good discount of you stay more than a few nights. They accept multiple curriency too (TL, USD, EUR), which is convenient. Also, there is a travel office on the grounds of Kelebek to plan any tours of the area. I didn’t use them other than to store my baggage on my day of departure, so I can't say what the service is like. I offer some contact info: Heritage Travel (e-mail: It is connected with the hotel so you can also contact Kelebek directly about tours. I hope people find this review helpful/trustworthy.
Kelebek entrance I
Kelebek entrance II
Kelebek (side view from lower terr…
Views from Kelebek
monky says:
Congrats on your featured review Brian!
vances says:
Nice review --- certainly a unique place to stay!
nyprne says:
Nice job on this review and congratulations on the feature, Brian.
gserrado gserrado
unique hotel Mar 28, 2008
This was an amazing experience. The hotel rooms are inside the caves and they are very nicely decorated. It is a bit expensive but is completely worth it even if you stay in the basic rooms. It is a bit of incline walk from town but you will have a nice, relaxing time.

They also have an amazing restaurant where I had the best kebabs in Turkey!

Check Goreme Hotel Deals