Kazan Cathedral

kazansky-spb.ru - +7 812-314-46-63

Kazan Cathedral Saint Petersburg Reviews

odiseya odiseya
Kazan Cathedral Feb 03, 2017
Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan or simply Kazan Cathedral is one of more interesting churches in the city for my opinion. Even I am not any kind expert for architecture or specific Russian Orthodox churches but it doesn't look to me as ordinary architectures style. I found out later that this is so call Empire style which was popular at time when this church was design and build. I found another information that this design was inspired by the Basilica of St. Peter's in Rome.

It is sure impressive sight and you cannot missed whether you walk or drive trough Nevsky Prospekt. The Cathedral was constructed between 1801 and 1811. Author of this design was architect Andrei Voronikhin. Next to it is monument to famous Russian Field Marshal Mikhail Kutuzov who was buried inside.

The church have impressive stone colonnade which encircling a small garden with central fountain.

This church was build for intention to become the main Orthodox Church of whole country. After the war of 1812 this church became symbol and monument to Russian victory.
Kazan Cathedral
Me in front of Kazan Cathedral
odiseya says:
Thank you! I love this city. I was thinking to visit it again maybe even this year.
Posted on: Feb 07, 2017
docdotcalm24vt says:
Beautiful pictures here Alexsandra! I haven't been to Saint Petersburg but would love to go someday.
Posted on: Feb 07, 2017
odiseya odiseya
Monument to Kutuzov Feb 06, 2017
I like to learn about monument too not only about attraction. When I wrote about it I mostly connect them with attraction which is nearby. Usually they are connect in more important way then location itself. In this case it is true for sure.

In front of the Kazan Cathedral is build monument to famous Russian Field Marshal Mikhail Kutuzov (1745-1813) who was buried inside. He was hero of the Patriotic Wars of 1812 against Napoleon. This monument was official presented to public on December 25 1837.
vances vances
Undercover cathedral Jun 28, 2016
Kazan Cathedral is an impressive religious institution disguised as a Roman Forum.

We came upon the massive sanctuary while walking along Nevsky Prospekt, and churches were the farthest thing from our mind. Even after glimpsing Kazan. No Christs or crosses, just a bunch of hefty columns with an approach adorned by statues of military heroes. A church?

Well, yes, a church. Seems Kazan Cathedral was patterned after St. Paul’s in the Vatican, but having been there I assure you they copied the template of the square rather than the basilica where services are conducted. Kazan’s exterior is a glorious concentration of colonnades, but one feels they are in St. Paul’s Square rather than church.

Despite the outward confusion, there is no mistaking religious intentions upon entering (free – this is an active Orthodox Christian church with daily services generally at 10AM and 6PM). One is immediately humbled by enormous, glistening chandeliers drooping amidst a forest of mighty columns. Even when no services are being conducted, the presence of many penitents furthers this atmosphere of humility.

Devotees amass here because this is the home of the most cherished icon in Russian Orthodoxy – Our Lady of Kazan. The icon was supposedly uncovered in the sixteenth century by a lady from Kazan (a village quite far from St. Petersburg) at the direction of the Virgin Mary. This original icon apparently inspired Russian generals to turn back Napoleon’s invasion in the early 1800’s and became legendary. Seems the original was lost and everyone admits a replica rests in Kazan Cathedral, but gracious, I was amazed at the long queue of people robotically approaching Our Lady to place a tender devotional kiss upon the icon.

There was discomfort photographing the reverence of the icon’s visitors, but I wanted to share and there was such a camera blitz from the surrounding hoard of tourists I doubted my snap would magnify any offense. More important, this is a somewhat unique opportunity to sense the devotion. As meek as the architecture and artistry inside Kazan might make one feel, the strength of human faith only becomes palpable when witnessing the kiss.
A church???
Queuing to kiss Our Lady of Kazan
Dome of Kazan Cathedral
The mighty columns of Kazan Cathed…

Check Saint Petersburg Hotel Deals