Kavárna Obecni Dúm

Nám. Republiky 5, Prague, Czech Republic

Kavárna Obecni Dúm Prague Reviews

boxinbcn boxinbcn
Art Nouveau Café in Prague Mar 15, 2009
This fantastic Art Nouveau café at the municipal house has a beautiful interior and seems to be a very popular spot, mostly with tourists, although there also seemed to be plenty of locals in the place.

This is worth a visit, if only to see the interior. A little pricey, but a nice place to sit down and listen to some live classical music (in our case anyway!-)

Aside from a few details that take away from this café, it’s definitely worth a visit, as I say, if only to check out the interior. We had apple pie, coffee, tea and a crepe with fruit filling. They brought a small glass of something like Advokaat with the apple pie which was really nice and my apple pie was really good. The crepe would have been good to, but it arrived cold.

In many ways this place reminded me of some of the cafés we visited in Vienna, yet here they don’t manage to take care of the details that are necessary to make such a place perfect.

Examples of these details are things like having to wait by the door for well over five minutes before one of the harried looking waiters finally motioned us to a table. Or hot dishes being served cold. Or having to ask a few times for the check. The poor quality of the furniture also didn’t fit well with the beautiful surroundings.

Such things in general don’t bother me at all, but here they’re giving the illusion (and charging the prices) of a grand, elegant café with fantastic, live music and they must take care of the little details to make it work.

As I said before, it’s worth a visit. I hope that they work on the details.

Check Prague Hotel Deals