Katz's Delicatessen

(212) 254-2246 - (212) 254-2246

Katz's Delicatessen New York Reviews

vances vances
Pastrami Paradise Dec 16, 2013
This excellent deli is Pastrami Paradise! Katz’s is a real deli where you can still order liver and onions, latkes, knishes and tongue. Upon entering you are presented with a small ticket – don’t lose it. When you order food they mark that on your stub and you need to present it to a cashier upon exiting. Even if you didn’t order anything (for example, your date ordered for both of you), you still need to offer the blank stub to successfully get back out the door.

Everybody in our group ordered pastrami sandwiches, and they proved to be the Katz meow. Yum, these babies were over stuffed and incredibly delicious. Best part was placing our order: you walk up to the cafeteria counter and after the server acknowledged a pair of pastrami sandwiches he immediately presented us with a small plate of pastrami slices to nosh on while we waited for him to complete our feast. Then it was a simple matter of taking the steaming plates back to our table and diving in, which we promptly did. We got a side plate of sliced pickles (two varieties) which complemented the beefy sandwich quite nicely.

Service was polite, professional and quick. Katz handily earns five stars from yours truly.
Looks inviting. Shall we?
The joint is hopping.
Dealing out delicious sandwiches -…
Care for a latke or a blintz???
monky says:
Congrats on your last featured review Vance!:D
rheagirl says:
Congrats on your featured review Vance! :)
waterfordgirl says:
Congrats on the feature! Well done : )
cimtech cimtech
Katz’s Delicatessen Apr 29, 2013

In 1888 what is now known as Katz’s Delicatessen was established on Ludlow Street in New York’s Lower East Side by the Iceland brothers. Upon the arrival of Willy Katz in 1903,

the name of the store was changed from Iceland Brothers to Iceland & Katz. Willy’s cousin Benny joined him in 1910, buying out the Iceland brothers to officially form Katz’s delicatessen. Their landsman Harry Tarowsky bought into the partnership in April 1917. A move to the present side of the street was necessitated during this time by the construction of the subway system, although the entry remained on Ludlow street. The vacant lot on Houston (named after a Dutch emigrant of the same name) Street was home to barrels of meat and pickles until the present storefront facade was added in the period 1946-49.

I was there on March 23, 2013. It was Saturday Lunch and i had to lined up all the way in to Ludlow street to get in. I had Katz's Pastrami sandwich out of curiosity ordered Roast Beef, with potato salad, cole slaw and beans. Food was delicious. If you are in NYC area you don't wanna miss this if not for the food but definitely for experience.
Pink Ticket, need to pay when you …
Delicious !
Famous Salami on display
A View of people lined up in Ludlo…
ilserita says:
Many Congrats, Vance! ! :)
cimtech says:
Definitely not on Saturday/Sunday during lunch hours, it is not always crowded if you plan to do early or late lunch.
Posted on: Jun 13, 2013
jackygoh1 jackygoh1
It's sooo delicious! Nov 27, 2011
I was told that when I go to New York, I must try Katz Deli, an institution in its own right. Started in 1888, it has survived several recessions.

In Singapore, I do not really eat beef. It’s partly because of religious reason and also I find the meat tough. The last time I had beef was a Big Mac about three years ago. But, after reading raving reviews from tripadvisor , yelp and TB, I thought I must give it a try and I seek Goddess of Mercy’s forgiveness.

Alright, after the NY water taxi tour at battery park, I walked to Katz deli for the Reuben Pastrami as I love cheese and it is highly recommended.

When I entered the deli, I was given a ticket. I went to the sandwich section and passed the server the ticket after making an order. He gave me some hot pastrami to try while he prepared my Reuben pastrami. Wow, I didn’t know beef could be so tender and delicious. I was happy with my choice.

The Reuben pastrami is really big. I think that it is one of the best meals I had in New York. The beef was really tender and it comes with mustard sauce and the melted cheese. It also comes with pickles and cucumber. I took a bite but I’m not really into pickles and cucumber so I didn’t eat it after trying it.

Although the pastrami was great, I just couldn’t finish it. I could only finish half of it. So I asked for take-away which the server gladly helped and even packed it neatly and into a carrier. I was really happy with their service. I also saw the boss chatting with other guests despite the restaurant success. Applebee just gave me a white styrofoam box and expected me to pack it myself. I realized that is the key to success. Be humble and cook great food that keeps people coming back for more.

The meal cost about $18 after the tax. I don’t mind paying for a great meal. I think it is worth it as the Reuben pastrami portion is good for two meals. I had the other half for breakfast.

Don’t lose your ticket because you need to pay $50.00 if you can’t show them the ticket.
Reuben Pastrami, pickles and cucum…
Is this for two people?
Was looking for the sign and saw t…
Zerotonine Zerotoni…
When Harry Met Sally? You betcha! Aug 04, 2011
Do not be fooled by the wood panelled interior. The staff at Katz's deli take their cuisine very seriously.

Upon entry, you will be given a ticket. As you make your way to the counter, you may order your salami's, sandwiches, hotdogs and more. I recommend the pastrami sandwich on rye with a bit of mustard. You will probably be offered pickles, which are whole, and a lot of food to eat!

The sandwiches will cost you about $15.00, but damn, are they worth it. The pastrami is succulent and juicy and has not disappointed me on the three times I have ventured there.
Mark_Norman Mark_Nor…
Katz's Delicatessen - Katz's Pastrami Dec 14, 2010
So being in New York for the first time I had a list of places that I wanted to visit, Katz's Delicatessen was one of those places. I had seen Anthony Bourdain visit the famous deli in an episode of "No reservations" and I really wanted to see for myself how good the Pastrami sandwich really was :)

Well upon entering the deli we were greeted by a door person who handed us a ticket as told to approach the counter to order. It was somewhat busy and we first noticed the numerous pictures that were framed with famous people who had visited the deli in the past.

I knew exactly what I was going to order even though the deli clerk simply said "The Pastrami is the best thing here" in a reply to my sister after she asked what she should order.

While waiting for our sandwiches we were offered a sample of the Pastrami, I was lucky enough to have a fresh loaf carved up which was still warm and juicy with glistening fat (the good kind haha)

The sandwich was presented and was quite massive for the plate ( since it cost $14.95) I was glad for that fact. It was also complimented with a side plate of pickle and mini cucumber halves which seemed appropriate and classic.

We found seats near the entrance of the dining area, somewhat in the middle. I looked up and noticed a sign which read "Where Harry met Sally, Hope you have what she had! Enjoy" Obviously it was refering to the movie When Harry met Sally. The movie had a scene in which they were dining at the deli, the sign was placed above the spot they were seated in the movie.

After we were seated I decided to try a cream soda to go along with the sandwich. Again after ordering the ticket that I had recieved upon entering was then marked again to reflect the new price (soda added)

The sandwich was great, I actually forgot to take a photo before I took a bite. My photo of the sandwich, even though I tried to hide it..had a bite taken out of it haha

Overall it was a good experience, a little expensive for some items I think... but all in all a place to visit at least once to say that you did!
Katz's Pastrami $14.95
Katz's Pastrami $14.95
Mark_Norman says:
yes I've seen the show, pretty crazy some of the items he tackles. Anthony Bourdain did a spot on Katz's which is one of the reasons I wanted to check it out!
Posted on: May 31, 2011
Vipin says:
how famous! i don't know if you've seen that programme man v food, but i think this is the sort of place that would feature on there too!
Posted on: May 30, 2011
hayley_phoon says:
nice review mark :)
Posted on: Dec 23, 2010
gwizzle17 gwizzle17
Great Deli! Dec 24, 2009
Although I would say the prices are expensive for a sandwich, they are typical NY prices. So it is expensive but the sandwich itself is big enough for 2 people (it was actually 3 for us!), so split that many ways, it's much more affordable (pastrami sandwich is $15)!

Katz's Deli is one of NYs most famous. It comes out in several movies (it's the place of the orgasm scene in Harry Met Sally) and the walls are filled with pictures of all the celebrities that have eaten there.

I can definitely see the appeal! When you walk in they hand each person a number- make sure not to lose that number, as that's where they write what you order and you need it even if you don't order anything (I think there's some sort of penalty for losing the ticket)! This is how they keep track of how many customers are in the restaurant, probably for safety reasons.

You go right up to the counter and order what you like- we got the classic pastrami sandwich on rye bread with mustard and pickles. While the deli guy is carving your sandwich, he serves you a small piece of pastrami to munch on while you wait! The guy was really great, shown by his overflowing tip jar!

Now the sandwich: phenomenal. Neither of my two friends had ever had pastrami and they both loved it! The sandwich is piled high with the deliciously tender meat. We split the sandwich 3 ways and left the place wondering how we could ever finish one by ourselves!

Highly recommend going here for a quick meal!!
Pastrami on Rye.