Kashmir Restaurant

(212) 594-3777

Kashmir Restaurant New York Reviews

Transitory Transito…
Odd, sorta seedy 24 hr eatery w/ decent Indian food May 15, 2009
I heard about Kashmir through a word of mouth recommendation, so me and my girls stopped by tonight when we were in the Times Square area.

First off, there's the ground floor option which is no frills and basic. Then there's additional seating downstairs, in which the decor upgrades to sort of tacky. The downstairs part seems to have a club off in a sectioned off room, a "private" room, the restaurant/dining area, AND a bar with t.v.

Tonight when we were there, eating on the side where the dining area is, there were about 10 men in varying ages and three women off on the side by the bar area. One woman had bleached blond hair and massive breasts implants, another young woman was in a corset and mini skirt (even though today was a bit chilly and a bit rainy), and finally there was a not quite-lucid, seemingly high red head woman who was demanding money from one of the men...hmmm... Then, as soon as me and my friends sat down, a middle aged man started waving for me to come sit by him at the bar. What did we stumble onto?

So my friends and I tried to ignore this while we quickly finished up our food but yeah, we suspect the place has shadier dealings...

As for the food, it was pretty good: the tikki masala, samosas crisp, naan bread was good, breyani, etc. and considering the buffet is about $5.99 per 1 lb of food, it IS pretty cheap.

The only problem, quite a big problem is there isn't a hot plate or whatever the machine is called that keeps buffet food hot for hygienic purposes. Instead the counterman would microwave the food which is ridiculously time consuming if there is a line of people waiting for food, and the food still wasn't heated completely, posing some possible hygiene issues.

I can put up with the company of whores and lechers but I won't put up with cold food! :) Although, I do have to admit the randomness of this place was pretty funny, it made me think of seedy Times Square of old , especially because Kashmir is across the street from a Peep Show place AND the NY Times newspaper, love, love the crazy contrasts!
globalodyssey says:
yikes, maybe they just combined the two enterprises in a moment of blinding entreprenuerial genius! even cooler
Transitory says:
absolutely :). Really though after I wrote my review, I looked the restaurant up and it served as a place for a money laundering scheme. Methinks they demoted themselves from money laundering to something else. Won't say specifically to what as I don't want to be sued for libel but you can read through the lines yes?
globalodyssey says:
so it is on your short list of must-see cultural icons of new york city?

Check New York Hotel Deals