Karunda, Cairns, Australia

Karunda Cairns Reviews

ClaireV1987 ClaireV1…
Well worth a look Mar 29, 2011
Kuranda is basically a tourist town in the Tablelands near Cairns. Many people travel up from Cairns on either the skytrain or the old steam train.

I've been there twice and driven up both times. The most important thing to remember when visiting Kuranda is that the township itself is only open until mid afternoon so dont expect to be able to see the shops at 5pm!

I must admit I wasn't amazed by Kuranda but I definately don't want to ruin it for anyone! :)

Most of the shopping is fairly expensive but there are some different shops to check out such as an old style candy shop that sells handmade candy.

I'm not saying don't visit but just be wary that it is fairly pricey to do any shopping. However, it does have a great history and even my own Aunty was a hippy back in the days living in Kuranda!
glennisnz glennisnz
The karunda scenic train Mar 17, 2008
The train ride to Karunda is an event not to be missed, the old steam train takes you along a very scenic route which includes going over a long curved bridge, this is interesting because you can look out the windows and watch the back half of the train going around the curve and over the bridge, as there is quite a drop down to the bottom it is rather beath taking. The town of Karunda was really cute and a pleasant place to visit, when we arrived there seemed to be pretty flowers growing everywhere, the flowers are my best impression of Karunda township.

I enjoyed my train ride very much, possably because steam trains are a novelty now days.
roamingduck roamingd…
May 15, 2007
Karunda is a town just outside of Cairns, up in the mountains. One way to get up there (or back) is to take the cablecar which takes you high above the forest canopy, it is a breathtaking and spectacular journey. Another way is the scenic railway, which again is very scenic and at times can be quite breathtaking. Karunda itself is quite nice, with loads of the usual shops, there are a few bars and restaurants so you can kill a few hours there, there are other places, but didn't go to them so don't know how good they are such as, such as the wildlife park. Cairns itself is quite a nice town, and well worth a day to explore.
carlm says:

Cheers for the suggestions. It all sounds good to me.

Thanks for that.