Karosta Prison

Liepaja, Latvia

Karosta Prison Liepaja Reviews

Greatlookinguy Greatloo…
Scary time in Karosta. Not for the faint hearted! Aug 16, 2011
Oooh!!! Imagine a real Soviet ishtyle communist prison me-ladies. Solitary confinement rooms that are darker than the night. Walls of the jail are painted with certain colours to specifically dull the brain and make the prisoners depressed. To break the human spirit. To make you (yes YOU!!) nothing more than an automaton only capable of following orders. The living dead.

THAT is Karosta! A real Naval prison in the sleepy seaside town of Liepaja. My friend and I took a turbo prop plane (my first!) from the capital city of Riga where we were for a weekend of evil fun ;-) and went to Liepaja to "explore some culture". We sure got a lot more than we bargained for.

The prison (http://www.karostascietums.lv/new/en/intro-en.html) has a number of tours on offer. They have actors that will treat you like a prisoner in the Soviet days. So people basically pay to be treated like rubbish :-) But for those who don't take things personally, it is a truly unforgettable experience. Imagine what it would feel like to be a prisoner back in the day.. afraid and uncertain of your future.

Have a look at the website for their various tour options.. and if you are headaed to Latvia, make sure you visit Liepaja (summer's best) along with the party capital Riga.

Check Liepaja Hotel Deals