Karnak Temple

Karnak Temple Luxor Reviews

Suusj Suusj
Karnak Temple Aug 31, 2011
First some history

The ancient Egyptians knew the temple of karnak as Ipet-isut(which means most select of places). It’s a city of temples built over 2000 years by Amenhotep III and Ramses II and dedicated tot Amun, Mut and Khonsu.

For the ancient Egyptian population this was the place of the gods. It is the mother of all religious building. It covers about 200acres 1.5 km by 800m. The area of the sacred enclosure of Amon alone is about 61 acres. Thy hall of Hypostyle is about 54.000 square feet and with is 134 columns is the largest room of any religious building in the world. Besides the main sanctuary there are several smaller temples and a sacred lake. Al sacred temple’s have a lake but Karnak’s is the largest.

Walking around Karnak temple I felt so small and it amazed me that 1000nds of years ago people were able to make this huge temples. Al that without modern technology. Fascinating fact is that the Temple has been a tourist attraction for hundreds of years. When you enter Karnak there is a huge wall and on there people wrote there name and date of visiting. Fun to see that in 1785 people watched the same things as we were the day we were there.

The Temple of Karnak is situated about 3km from the Temple of Luxor. Be aware of the fact that you won't be the only tourist there. Luxor is verey popualair and it can get crowded.
Im_a_local says:
That was on our list for this year, however our tour operator cancelled due to problems in the country at that time so we changed to Turkey. Still on my bucket list though.
Posted on: Sep 02, 2014
Suusj says:
Me too :D
Posted on: Oct 15, 2011
Chokk says:
I just loved this place ;D
Posted on: Oct 15, 2011
dries83 dries83
most beautiful temple of egypt Mar 17, 2011
I went there in november 2011 and I must say I was impressed, it was here that a '70 James Bond movie with Roger Moore was filmed. Immense pillars, immense statues, when I was there they were busy demolitioning every building (even church) to restore the 3km avenue between luxor and karnak temple s.a. it was thousands of years ago.

Karnak temple is much bigger and more beautiful than the smaller luxor temple.
trinademattei trinadem…
Simply Amazing Feb 14, 2009
Karnak: The largest temple on earth and I definitely felt its power and importance walking through this well preserved complex. I visited in February 2009 which was a great time of year because of the lack of heat and crowds.

Take your time here and wander at a leisurely pace. At times it was hard for me to grasp just what I was seeing. The site is under constant renovation and new paintings and artifacts continue to be discovered.

Read, read, read up before you go. I took a guide book along that showed a detailed map of what the temple once was and I am thankful for it. Be sure to bring your own water and snacks because amenities are non-existent. Many people file in on large tour buses. I recommend hiring a taxi driver for the day and seeing all the sights of Luxor at your own pace. You have to agree on a day rate beforehand but having a private driver is worth it.
Karnak Temple
Around Karnak
Sky through columns Karnak
meijneke meijneke
Biggest temple complex in Egypt Jul 25, 2008
The karnak temple consists of 32 temple build by much different pharao's. That's why there is much diversity of writings and statue's in karnak.
wiedemann wiedemann
Mar 22, 2007
Luxor Temple

The Luxor Temple is a fairly decent sized Temple complex, with some extensively beautiful artwork and architecture. I would say it is not as impressive as the temples at Karnak, but that is my own opinion. If I were to go back and do it again, i would go to the Luxor Temple first, then make my way to Karnak to broaden the picture. The two temples were joined at one time in the past, however civilization has eroded the connection point and now they are separate. It is fairly reasonably priced its about 50/25 EGP (adult/student) to get in, and you can get through the temple in about 2 hrs seeing everything that is of interest and taking pictures casually... hours of operation are from 6am - 9pm. Recommended that you go early, cause the sun can get hot at the right times of the year..

Karnak Temples

The "Temples at Karnak" is not a misnomer, in fact there are several different temples built together in the temple complex called Karnak, there are about 12 different temples at this site and each one was built by a different Pharaoh, so there is a lot to see here... Definitely would put this temple on the number one list of Luxor travel. This Temple complex is fairly reasonable to get into, its about 60/30EGP (adult/student) which with the 5 to 1 ratio is about $12/6USD. You can rent tripods at the temple for about 20EGP or $4USD, but there again if you have your own equipment, use yours and save your 20EGP for a camel ride or something... There is a fair amount of walking involved with this site and i would recommend about 4.5-5hrs spent looking at everything in these temples... Also I would recommend having a good tour guide along... In contrast to my advice on getting guides in the museums where most everything is labled for you, these temples are not labled very much, and a knowledgeable guide is interesting as well as educating. (refer to Nefertiti hotel for pricing on tour guides)...
Ramses III temple at Karnak
pillars at Karnak
jmatyczuk says:
thanks can't wait to set foot infront of all this amazing history in 8 days..
Posted on: Oct 06, 2008
teslablye says:
Thanx for the input!
Posted on: Apr 20, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Karnak Temple

Convoys and Klutzes
To travel, by road, from Aswan to Luxor one must join the convoy.  Supossedly it's for your safety, but just how safe is it to have all the tourists in only one place (twice daily)? Anywho, the…Luxor is the home of many temples and tombs, but two are uber-famous: Karnak and Luxor TempleKarnak
The Magic Of Luxor
Further down the Nile is the ancient city of Luxor. Home to the Valley of the Kings, the Colossi of Memnon, the Temple of Karnak, Luxor Temple and so much more. Everywhere you look, you get a sense o…Luxor. Home to the Valley of the Kings, the Colossi of Memnon, the Temple of Karnak, Luxor Temple and so much…
My travel to Luxor started with a flight from Cairo in the early morning. The previos day we have visited the Pyramids and we were very tired, we couldn't abe to sleep enogh. But the trip worth it.&n…Temple and the Colossi of Memnon . In West Bank you can visit Luxor and Karnak Temple . We arrived to Luxor

Check Luxor Hotel Deals