Kanchanaburi Tiger Temple

Wat Pha Luang Ta Bua , Kanchanaburi, Thailand

Kanchanaburi Tiger Temple Reviews

Stigen Stigen
Do not go there, do not support this place !! Feb 08, 2014
This is a review that got over 50 helpful votes on tripadvisor. They have deleted it 3 times now, probably due to complaints from the Tiger staff. I believe this to be very corrupt and biased. .

so once again...;

Please do not go to this attraction. The people reviewing it positively either have`nt got a clue, or are doing it to keep their own conscience clear.

I went to this place when I was i Kanchanaburi to see the bridge of Kwai.I knew nothing of it, and went there on an impulse. It was a disturbing place that is more likely to elicit tears than joy.

The tigers are kept as pure circus attractions to be pushed an prodded into whatever position the person paying the most need for his/hers photo. I saw chained-up tiger cubs with no provided water in the blazing sun,looking dehydrated. I am an experienced veterinary surgeon, I know how to recognize lethargy when I see it. Then next minute they are picked up and prodded into these ridiculous positions for ignorant tourist who is looking for that holy grail - A photo with a real tiger!

Why do you need that photo? Posting on facebook? ....you should be embarrassed to post it on Facebook. The bad reputation of this place is widely known, at least a few of your friends will make negative remarks, and possibly start a discussion on animal welfare- rightly so.

It is really bad that we live in a world where a beautiful and serene animal like the tiger is desperately endangered, and now being held as a circus animal in the interest of capitalists(the prices in this place is beyond belief...and it creates a great deal of profit). they claim that the money goes toward conservation, but it has been shown in studies that there is no conservation effort from this place. they never released a tiger, and the pedigrees of the tigers are completely lost due to the lack of a proper breeding management. A conservation program cannot work without breeding management, you end up with infertile cross breeds and hybrids, and of course inbreeding. In any case - they can never release tigers that are this used to humans, as they would get closer than comfort to populated areas.

There is even evidence that they have been buying tigers from tiger farms in Laos that are known to be a part of the illegal trade(hence-caught from the wild). Read care for the wilds report on this place.

The adult tigers are kept in a little valley to provide photos for a never-ending stream of ignorant tourists. I`m not going to speculate on whether they are drugged or not, but they most certainly are`nt displaying their natural behavior, or having any sort of quality of life.

My point is that no one should be making the excuse "I`m just going to go there to make my own opinion" - which is just a way of saying " I`m just going to go there to get a few photos with a semi-clear conscience " . The evidence on this place is already present, there should be no need to go there and see it. I am a veterinary professional, and I strongly disprove.
Lupobianco says:
Thanks for the warning. This place is as cruel as an old fashioned circus. Shame on the selfie brigade who ignore your good counsel.
Posted on: Aug 08, 2015
spocklogic says:
Sad story - Should be more respect...

TIGER, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
~William Blake
Posted on: Feb 12, 2014
Ils1976 says:
thanks for sharing!!!
Posted on: Feb 10, 2014
christl3 christl3
Breathtaking Experience Oct 26, 2012
If you would like an opportunity to get up close to tigers and actually touch them then the Tiger Temple is a great attraction. It is only open for three hours each day where the public can see the tigers. It costs 600Baht to just get your photos taken with the tigers and a further 1000baht if you'd like the opportunity to feed the tigers and their babies. It also costs another 1000baht if you would like to get a group photos of you and your friends with the tigers. They say you have to pay a 'donation' to get in, but these charges are compulsory!

It is about a 40 minute drive from Kanchanburi.

The volunteers take loads of photos of you with the tigers so you get your values worth there!

They are mostly asleep during the photos which i was disappointed by but occasionally they'll wake up and pop their heads up.

This seems to a controversial attraction but we enjoyed it.
brettjayhawk brettjay…
Spending time with Tigers Apr 19, 2012
I went to Wat Pha Luang Ta Bua (Tiger Temple) on a tour that included the floating market and Death Railway. These two side stops were great to visit but I wish I would have been able to spend more than an hour and a half at the Tiger Temple. I would recommend take the bus from Bangkok and then taking a taxi or tuk tuk and spend as much time as you want at Tiger Temple. If you want to feed the baby tigers you will need to call in advance. They also give you the opportunity to exercise the Tigers in the morning and in the afternoon for an additional fee. It cost 600 baht to get into the temple. It was worth it to see the Tigers and get up close and personal with them.
spicyricecake says:
That looks like so much fun! I would love the chance to hang out with tigers
Posted on: Apr 29, 2012
Enigmaa Enigmaa
A unique experience Jun 08, 2011
I can safely say that this is by far one of the most rewarding travel experiences I have ever had.

Visiting the tiger temple in Kanchanaburi is simply a once in a life time opportunity to spend a day with tame tigers, taking walks with them as well as being able to pet them.

The tigers live with the monks in this temple, and is very used to people, hence not dangerous.

Sure, this attraction is a tad on the expensive side comparred to other attractions in Thailand, but this unique experience is well worth it.

Take an organized tour from BKK, and expect to pay around 500 TBH for the tour, as well as 400 TBH for the entrance fee. Whilst in Kanchanaburi, you also get the chance to see the bridge over the river Kwai (see my review), as well as death railway.

Do yourself a favour and take out a day to see this place. You will never forget it!

Related Travel Blogs About Kanchanaburi Tiger Temple

DAY09 - Kanchanaburi Day Trip & Tiger Temple
Today's tour was Kanchanaburi & Tiger Temple... it was our most expensive one too, 2,400 baht ($109... would've been cheaper if the exchange rate was higher, it should've cost $80. Oh well.) The …Kanchanaburi & Tiger Temple... it was our most expensive one too, 2,400 baht ($109... would've been cheaper…
Floating Market / Tiger Temple Kanchanaburi - Hear Me Roar
What a way to spend Christmas Day - the full day today was going to be spent on a day trip visit to the Floating Markets, the Bridge Over the River Kwai and the Tiger Temple.  My brother had boo… What a way to spend Christmas Day - the full day today was going to be spent on a day trip…
Tiger Temple and Bridge Over the River Kwai
After shopping, we headed to Kanchanaburi  to the Tiger Temple where Buddhist priests care for tigers and other animals. We switched up vans and it was just me and a couple from Austrialia (Tom …Kanchanaburi  to the Tiger Temple where Buddhist priests care for tigers and other animals. We switched up vans…

Check Kanchanaburi Hotel Deals