Kampung Batik Laweyan

Solo, Indonesia

Kampung Batik Laweyan Solo Reviews

yuness yuness
'House of Batik in Laweyan Village,' Jul 28, 2014
There are two Batik Village’s in Solo ( Surakarta ) Laweyan Batik Village and Kauman Batik Village. I decided to visit Laweyan, which is the name of the village itself. It covers an area of 24.83 ha, and the buildings and houses are influence by Javanese, European, Chinese and Islamic traditional architecture, it is the oldest village batik in Indonesia.

So, from the hotel we took a taxi to this village we just paid IDR 20.000 for minimum payment as its not far by taxi but a little to far to walk. We arrived at 10am so still many shop is closed. We just looked around along the way finally we found some shop are now opened. We went in to Putra laweyan Galery shop. The girls in the shop greeted us friendly and asked us what we needed and offered to show us the Batik factory in progress just behind the shop.

Here we saw that old traditional methods of printing/painting on cloth or white base material,The Men here print, dye and stablilize, firstly the men print a motif on a new cut piece of material using wooden blocks which have the pattern cut out, they must press on these blocks many times and this done all by hand and eye, one missed placed block and the pattern is failed, but such is their skill that this doesn’t happen very often, the material is then to be dyed and stablilized in big vats of liquids.once dried they are passed onto the women whom now use a skill call Mencanting, which is a form of paint writing over areas of printed materials. When all the colourful decoration are complete a final drying is required so the material can then be use to make garments.

After asking questions about the making of the batik produce directly to these busy workers we then go back in the Putra Laweyan gallery shop and view the Batik Garments on display and ready for use. The collection is not large but is of course all are limited editions due the fact this being all their own production. Due to this the prices of the Beautiful Batik is quite expensive, The store women showed me some garments but many where just a small size. I looked at the collection of batiks..all is really nice and cool..but I’m to wish I’d be slimmer person but then maybe I would bankrupt also...lol, as the price is not cheap..the average is about IDR 150.000 to IDR 2.000.000 maybe more..Wow.. better I bankrupt IAN...hehehe...so I just bought one dress.

From Putra we went and looked at other shops around the Batik Village..also looking in side some of the factories some of which were big and full of long production tables full of materials, we are not allowed inside we just long from the open doors. The streets were once full of Batik factories and shops with many collections. But there is signs of a lot closing so I hope with this review to get tourists to remember to come visit this Traditional Batik Village. There is still a good many homes that are small outlets for Batik all have there own unique printings and garments. We looked in 4 or 5 shop in this lovely village, we bought more beautiful items…hmmm all is nice and pretty. Wow Ian bought me another nice dress...”Thank you my love”

A few of the shops are now adapting to be more modern in style which in addition to batik women clothes, handbags there is also batik shirts for men and even the football clubs design, Ian bought some clothes for himself and his family as presents, this is a big shop..my eyes can’t stop to looked around the collection of nice Batik...lol

So If you are on a trip to Solo, I recommend that you take time to visit Laweyan batik village. To witness a complete factory Village like this is Rare...To keep it in good condition we must go there to help keep these Traditions alive.
Woman using the art of Menchanting
Old Fashioned Traditional Block Pr…
yuness says:
Hi my TB friends, Thank you very much!, I Really appreciate all your smiles, comments and the congratz on my featured review of Kampung Batik Laweyan. I'm sorry I didn't come on TB for a long time..
Posted on: Oct 16, 2014
sylviandavid says:
Yuyun, So pleased to have you featured .... congratulations!
Posted on: Sep 24, 2014
Nana_gincin says:
Congratulations on your feature's today Yuyun!
Posted on: Sep 24, 2014