Kampachi @ Pavillion KL

Level 6 (Lot 6.09.00), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Kampachi @ Pavillion KL Kuala Lumpur Reviews

TBK3355 TBK3355
Try them only if you have too much money to spend and Sushi King is closed... May 04, 2008
The history of Kampachi linked back to its good old times in Equatorial Hotel and they had currently expanded and branched out to a standalone outlet in the new shopping mall, Pavillion KL. I must qualify, I had not tasted the good stuff at the original outlets at any of the Equatorial hotels.

However, the quality of this particular outlet barely beats that of Sushi King. I just ate Kampachi like 8 hours before this review, with a group of 9 people and a good sampling of their various stuff. So yeah, I believe my review is fair enough.

Soba: Claimed to be one of the few Japanese restaurants to have handmade soba, but nothing fantastic. Either hot or cold, its not good; there is not enough chewy-ness as with really good soba, on top of that its powdery, not smooth.

Tempura: Its cold!! We were shocked, called the manager and she took it back, but suspected they just dump it into the microwave, because its not crispy at all.

Chawamushi: I had to suppress my urge to ask the manager if they had mistakenly served us a kids' version - the cup is small and its only half filled! Tasted it, nothing special. My grandma could steam better eggs than that!

Sashimi: We only had salmon, so can only vouch for that. This is not too bad, quite fresh but the cuts were not done properly with some tendons still inside.

Rice: This is terrible; tastes just like some regular rice done by my sister (Oops!). Did they ran out of the wonderful, pearl-shaped, shiny-coated, fragrant authetic Japanese rice, and simply borrowed some from the food court downstairs??

Service/Ambience: The only consolation I have with this terrible place is the service and ambience, which is akin a 6-star hotel. However the last thing made swear never to come back again...

Bill: About RM60 per pax! We each ordered a main course, a drink and one side-dish. Nothing fanciful and NO DESSERTS!

Conclusion - If you still want to go to this restaurant after reading this, you either have too much moolah to burn or all the other Japanese outlets in KL had closed down. Heck, I would only come back here if ALL EATERIES in KL closed down!
waynekairooney says:
Horrible service. Today the lady who waited for my table added an expensive pot of tea to my bill simply by asking 'Hot tea?' - I said 'ok', and she proceed by adding the most expensive type of tea without confirming with me.

I switched a bowl of rice to fried rice and she says "Additional RM 6". But when the bill came she says "Sorry forgot to inform you. It's actually RM 10".

I'm fine with the price and everything - it is expected for a premium grade japanese restaurant, but the attitude and service is nowhere premium. It leaves the customer feels cheated. Dishonest waitress. Disgusting behaviour.
Posted on: Apr 20, 2012
TBK3355 says:
I heard that Saisaki (Wisma UOA) is not too bad, might want to give it a try next time I am in KL. Thanks for your comments!
Posted on: May 06, 2008
ted332 says:
Funny review. Pavillon Mall is quite cool though. Had some drinks with KL TBs when I was in MSIA. No thanks, no Jap food while in KL.Thanks for the tip! :):)
Posted on: May 06, 2008