Kalulu Backpackers Hostel

Check Lusaka Hotel Deals

Kalulu Backpackers Hostel Lusaka Reviews

joseph98 joseph98
Unfriendly staff, below-par amenities, best avoided Aug 11, 2014
As I was only staying one night here as a stopgap before leaving Zambia – I was in and out in under 12 hours – perhaps I’m being a little unfair. But first impressions do count for something, and I must say that my first impression of this place were not great at all.

The moment I left my taxi, I was immediately accosted by a staff member who rudely demanded if I had a reservation. When I said I did he took me to the bar area where he made me stand and wait for at least five minutes, during which time he actually served drinks to a couple of other guests. While I – tired and grumpy – waited, I noticed the food menu. On the Hostelworld description it said breakfast was included in the price. Well, looking at it confirmed that breakfast wasn’t included in the price…

To be fair to the guy who ‘welcomed’ me, he did take the time to show me to both my room and then where the communal bathrooms were. But he did it in such a mumbly, I’d-rather-be-anywhere-than-here voice that I could barely hear him above the loud music blaring from the bar. The dorm rooms, plus interconnecting corridors, are uber-basic, and the ladder to my top bunk was missing, forcing me to disturb the poor girl in the bed below to get in to mine. On the plus side, the bed was comfy and the mosquito net quite possibly the best I’d ever slept under…when I got to sleep, that is. The dorms are uncomfortably close to the rowdy bar, so best avoided if you’re not a party type.

Come the morning, things were rounded off with an ice-cold shower in a grubby bathroom – not unusual in Africa, but another thing to hack me off in my grumpy mood – and a frosty, mumbly check-out with the bored-looking lady at reception.

I’ve certainly stayed in worse and it ain’t all bad: the location is great for the city centre, the bar is good if you like that sort of thing, and the main grounds, complete with swimming pool, are pleasant enough. But whilst it is cheap, there are cheaper and better places around it, such as Broads Backpackers’ Lodge where I’d stayed before. Broads was almost like a five star experience compared to this, and customer service was not outstanding there either. Certainly a big thumbs down from me.
yuness says:
Congratz Joe on your featured!
Posted on: Aug 26, 2014
vickie-lou says:
Congratulations on your feature =)
Posted on: Aug 25, 2014
Vikram says:
Well done!!
Posted on: Aug 25, 2014

Kalulu Backpackers Hostel Overview

The Kalulu Backpackers Hostel is ideally situated in the town centre and offers a swimming pool and a tour desk.

Travellers will be able to enjoy the convenience of an onsite café at the Kalulu Backpackers Hostel.

University of Zambia is within easy driving distance of the Kalulu Backpackers Hostel. Internet access is available for travellers who need to remain connected while on the road. Lusaka International Airport (LUN) is a 40 minute drive from the hostel. Street side parking is available for drivers, or an airport shuttle service can be requested.

Kalulu Backpackers Hostel Amenities