Kakum National Park

4232583

Kakum National Park Cape Coast Reviews

StephAAMU StephAAMU
I've Never Met a Suspension Bridge I Didn't Love :) May 07, 2011
Kakum National Park was beautiful. To get to the suspension bridges we walked up really steep, slippery rocky trail. We traveled atop the forest on 7 suspension bridges whre the walkway was no wider than my foot sideways. I wear a size 7 in womens shoes. The bridges were wooden plants, reinforced by metal ladder like structures underneath. There were ropes on each side and looking down was a rush!

The bridges were 40 meters high (128 ft) and we were so high you couldn't see the forest floor beneath you. This is definitely not an adventure you should undertake if you are suffering from a sinus attack as I was that day. Ha ha ha! I felt so off balance b/c my sinuses were draining and my ears were filled with fluid, can you say vertigo at 128 ft?!

The plank was so narrow that we were supposed to walk one foot in font of the other so the bridge would stay balanced and there were supposed to be no more than 8 people on one bridge at a time.

One genius lady visiting the park with her boyfriend/husband wore white high heels!!!! Really lady, when you woke up this morning you thought this was a good idea. Her boyfriend ended up carrying the shoes for her as she walked across the suspension bridges barefoot.

It was a really great experience. I felt my confidence soar and I felt the power of God as I had to call on his name a couple of times! :)

I find myself thinking such weird things at inappropriate times, as I was crossing the suspension bridge I thought maybe they should make people sign a waiver or undergo a psych evaluation b/c this would be the perfect place to commit suicide. Maybe I should write them a little questionnaire.

Are you feeling depressed? Yes or No

Are you or have you ever had any thoughts of suicide? Yes or No

If you checked yes to either of the questions, please do not attempt the bridges today, come back when you feel better.

I love Kakum. It's a must do if you are visiting Ghana. Besides the bridges the forest is great too, really lush and you can see evolution before you. We saw trees that grew inside other trees. I loved it.
silan silan
Jul 04, 2006
Located about an hour outside of Cape Coast, Kakum National Park is a great place to see some of the country's best rainforest. A 40m high canopy walk through the tops of the trees is an essential experience to see the array of vegetation growing in the area, and if you're lucky and look closely, you may see some wildlife.

If canopy walks make you nervous, just make sure you don't walk behind or in front of teenage boys who enjoy to jump and run across the suspended bridges, as I did!

There's also a great nature walk you can take, and a guide can explain to you the different kinds of plants and trees around you.
Roamer says:
Be sure to walk the canopy circuit slowly as the guides are reluctant to allow you to go around twice.
Posted on: Jan 24, 2008
clblevins84 says:
I did this on one of the hottest days there. I was a little nervous when the bridge would rock back and forth when I stepped. Though, it was a great time!
Posted on: Jul 31, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Kakum National Park

Little town, big history!
The magnificent Cape Coast castle is in the heart of the little town overlooking the sea.The Dutch converted the building into a castle in 1637 and the Swedes expanded it in 1652.The castle was captu…Kakum National Park on our way to Cape Coast ; Price said that this is going to be a thrilling experience…
General info. prices,places & transports
So far I have my french friend Julien and my guitar that wants to come with, I would like to get 1 or two people more to have a nice travel group. The route is flexible and can be changed i…Cape Coast, such as Anomabu (US$0.50, 15 minutes), Kakum National Park (US$0.70, 45 minutes) and Takoradi (US$1.40, one hour…

Check Cape Coast Hotel Deals