Kactus Bar Restaurant

Calle Calvo, Sucre, Bolivia

Kactus Bar Restaurant Sucre Reviews

cstewart000 cstewart…
Terrible Restaurant Avoid at All Costs Dec 04, 2010
After having taken some excellent Mexican food in Sucre from a couple of other mixed menu restaurants I was keen to get a good Mexican Restaurant. Kactus is decorated with a Mexican motif; however, it is not Mexican. Overcoming this initial disappointment I took a table. I should have seen the warning sign, that I was the only person in the restaurant at 7:30pm on a Thursday, that this was not going to be a good experience. I decided to order the Goulash as it was the most atypical thing I had seen on Bolivian menus. The menu described the dish as coming with rice. I ordered a glass of Vino Tinto (as usual) and they poured me a very modest glass (not so usual as compared to other restaurants). The Goulash arrived with a pasta accompaniment. I argued with the chef that this was not what I ordered as the menu said rice. He argued that pasta is better and that rice will take longer. I gave in at that point. I should have walked away.

I finished the meal and promptly left the restaurant. As I was leaving I ran into two amigos from language school who were about to enter. I turned them away urging them not to dine at the restaurant.

I woke up the next morning with sever stomach cramps and diahorrea. After 3 days bed ridden and series of painful injections It was the most expensive bad meal I have ever had.
Eddd says:
First of all i think kactus... is rather an eclectic mexican-american,irish pub restaurant, grill'n concert place, wich means that if i'ts open at 6:30 means that they want to make a difference in a city in which the others careless to meet the tourist expectations, so its not to criticise not having regulars at this hour.As varied menu as they have, among their dishes they show the Goulash: that is prepared to be very subtle and nice, certanly not for gourmand Cheap appetitte carnivore market stomach, who want to dig food as a grinder or impréss some bimbo with it's name (who by the way, never showed up!!)"let me point out that there is no other restaurant in the Sucre area serving this dish"at the beggining i thought the shaggy gay was to order some Pedigree,but i realized this one in special wsnted to have other than the regular fríes he can afford in his own country, >>goulash is a Hungarian dish that was served not just with the pasta but couscous and an assortment of sides>thanks
Posted on: Dec 01, 2011