Rizal Avenue ??, Puerto Princesa, Philippines

KaLui Puerto Princesa Reviews

bagusferriyanto bagusfer…
My Delicate Experience in the Philippines Mar 06, 2014
At first I was not familiar with the food in the Philippines, after more than a week's stay at a few different places in the Philippines I finally tried this restaurant one of the results of the recommendations of leading travel guide. I didnt expect any at first, but I miss enjoying the delicious cuisine.

I came to this restaurant because it is quite close to my hotel, and I did not make a reservation. It turns out that restaurant quite full so I had to wait, some people also have to wait to get a table seating. I recommend to reserve a table if you want to eat at this place. Initially I was told had to wait for 30 minutes, but after 15 minutes I've got my table. Maybe because I only own so quite easy to get a table.

I remember they did not serve lots of menu here, but I remember that my food was incredibly delicious. Fresh ingredient and interesting presentation. They also provide fruit dessert with palm sugar ... yum ....!!

Also offered an interesting atmosphere in this restaurant, with tropical design and the warmth and comfort to arouse your appetite. At the back of the restaurant you can see the art gallery that you can buy for their collection.

ps. they also have interesting interior design in the toilet. :)
the food
a yummy food
the interior deisgn..
the bar and the kitchen
baliw-katok baliw-ka…
Excellent cuisine, enchanting interior Feb 15, 2012
I read on the net that "Kalui" restaurant is a must when you are in Puerto Princesa. So walking down Rizal Avenue we looked for the place. Gosh, it was even hard to find, since the entrance appeared like a small nippa hut. But once entering the tiny door, you enter a well maintained place where the waiter invites you to take off your shoes. Even this small ritual made it already special. After placing the shoes in a drawer, you can enter the restaurant itself. This place is AWESOME ! Well decorated, native style and friendly waiters barefooted as well. The restaurant is nearly always fully booked, so make your reservations !!!

The foods are exotic and delicious and the presentation is original. A top restaurant in the middle of Puerto Princesa, with high standards. Yes indeed, a must to visit there !
baliw-katok says:
LOL ! That's a nice one Jimmy... eh mean Jamie. By the way, did u treat the public with a stand-up comedy show ? hahaha
Posted on: Nov 28, 2012
Jam1e says:
Had a funny experience with my reservation at Kalui. I phoned couple of weeks before our trip and the guy I talked to even spelled out my name Jamie Samson to make sure he got it right. When we arrived at the restaurant, a very confused attendant greeted me and told me my name wasn't there and I was almost hysterical. Then they took out another logbook and asked to verify my phone number which was correct - and with a very red face he apologized to me and my friends and said the reservations guy wrote my name as "Jimmy Santos". (He's a local comedian and one huge guy) So me and the girls just had a heck of a good laugh and we went on to enjoy our sumptuous dinner while admiring the beautiful setup of the place.
Posted on: Nov 27, 2012
baliw-katok says:
Sure Rhea, i think the same ... when i go back to PP, KaLui is again on my list.
Posted on: Sep 22, 2012
dominic_amayun dominic_…
over rated! Sep 21, 2010
I have read many reviews in the internet that this place rocks!!!hahahaha..it's only the place that is nice and everything else is a head ache!!!

food is super expensive..the serving is sooooooo litle...my gadh, the food hardly reached my stomach!

i ordered for the catch of the day (special for the day)..in the menu it says squid, shrimps, fish, rice, soup..

what i got when it was served: 1 grilled tuna about 1.5 x 1.5 inches, squid about 1 x 1 inch, 2 pcs shrimps about 2 inches, plenty plenty plenty of seaweeds (yuck!), a cup of rice, a soup with 1pc (about 1/4 inches) clam, and assorted fruits of about 5 bite sizes.

and i paid for over a thousand pesos (about 47usd) for these!!!!!

perhaps what i paid is the ambiance and not the food!
tj1777 tj1777
Fish at KaLuis Jun 20, 2008
KaLuis is a fish restaurant in Puerto Princesa. It has made it to the Authors choice in Lonely Planet 2006, which usually means the quality of the place will drop dramatically. Hence I had decided not to go there. But I heard from many people that they had been and it was really great - and this were people from Manila which to me indicated this place might just still be pretty good. Hence I went there along with a few other people.

When we got there we all decided to have some different sort of fish and then share it all between us. The food came and it was really good. On top of this we got a dessert which we assumed were complimentary - but it could have been included in one of the meals we had order. The service was fairly rapid - which you should expect from the huge staff they had at this place. It appeared to be somewhat overstaffed in general, which helped explain why the prices is a bit higher than usual for the Philippines - but still reasonable for the quality of the food.

The place is decorated in the traditional manor of the area which means it is a quite interesting thing to look at your surroundings while having your meal. The no shoes policy also add to the feel of being in a local place.

Because the place is very popular bigger groups should book ahead and even a small group can consider doing so to avoid having to wait to get seated. We did not have any problems getting a table straight away though.

Compare Puerto Princesa City Hotel Rates (2.3km away)

Puerto Princesa Map