KaDeWe

Tauentzienstrasse 21-24, Berlin, Germany
KaDeWe - The glass atrium.
KaDeWe - Floor-to-ceiling windows in The Wintergarten Restaurant on Floor 7 with views over the city.
KaDeWe - KaDeWe is situated on Tauentzienstr., a stone's throw from the railway station at Wittenbergplatz.
KaDeWe - Kaufhaus des Westens (KaDeWe), just behand Wittenbergplatz train station

KaDeWe Berlin Reviews

skiathos skiathos
A Shopper's Paradise, will impress even Anti-Shoppers Aug 20, 2011
Kaufhaus des Westens or KaDeWe is one of the largest and grandest department stores in Europe; its range of goods, quality, presentation and service is second to none. If you are British, forget Harrods and Harvey Nichols, this store is in a league of its own.

Apparently, it is popular with celebrities on a Friday afternoon, but being British I don't know too many German celebs.

If you enter through the main entrance on Tauentzienstra├če, you find yourself in the Theme Hall, where you can collect a guide to the 9 floors of this shoppers' delight. (the store has been extended in recent years.)

An absolute MUST if you visit KaDeWe, are the Gourmet Food-hall on Floor 6 and the Wintergarten Restaurant on Floor 7.

The Food-hall has to be seen to be believed; they have everything here, including numerous luxury food and drink bars to tempt you. e.g. champagne bar, caviar bar, sushi bar.. etc. It is an extravaganza for the senses.- see also Chokk's review entitled, Le Buffet im KaDeWe.

Chocolate lovers too will be in 7th heaven in their own specially dedicated section. I thought I would never get my friend out of here one day.

The Wintergarten Restaurant on the 7th floor is expensive, but nice for coffee and cake in the afternoon, especially if you are lucky enough to get a window seat, with views over the city. My personal favourite is the buffet salad bar, which would surprise anyone who knows me, as I am a chronic salad dodger, but this is like no other. (around 22 euros with a mineral water and desert.)

Lovers of designer labels, will be left drooling in the luxury fashion avenue on the ground floor, which houses the likes of Dior, Prada, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Chanel et al. Now, I am not the kind of person who will ever be spending several hundred euros+ on a handbag, but I still enjoy a stroll through here; everything is so beautifully displayed and each of the units is immaculate.

You can ascend the various floors in a huge Glass elevator, enjoying all-round views of the store (this can get a bit cramped though) or via the escalators in the middle of each floor.

Marked free, as it costs nothing to window-shop here, but you will undoubtedly end up spending money. There are some affordable things here to buy and I have had some bargains from the alcohol section. You can find cheaper places to eat at nearby Wittenbergplatz.
Floor-to-ceiling windows in The Wi…
The glass atrium.
KaDeWe is situated on Tauentzienst…
skiathos says:
On my to-do list for next visit, long way off now though!
Posted on: Aug 20, 2011
Chokk says:
I love KaDeWe - especially the champagne bars Saturday morning - it is btw the only way to start a Saturday morning!
Posted on: Aug 20, 2011
skiathos says:
I know, it has everything! I was chuffed to find 5 star Metaxa here, couldn't get it anywhere back home at the time and it was cheap too. Kinda funny to have to go all the way to Germany to get a Greek liquor.
Posted on: Aug 07, 2011
londonstudent londonst…
Oct 11, 2004
This could be free, or it could cost you a packet ...KaDeWe (Kaufhaus des Westerns) is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, of Europe's department stores, a truly amazing place. A refurbishment programme, extending over several years but due to be completed for the store's centenary in 2007, was still in progress when I was there, so doubtless by now it is even better. Bright, cheerful, immaculate and well-organised, it extends over seven floors and it took us well over three hours just to make our way through all the departments. Best of all was the food hall on the top floor; it is difficult to think of anything that they did not stock. The store is, of course, a temple to rampant consumerism, but I have never found myself wanting to spend so much money under one roof.Of course, if you don't enjoy window shopping, and the sight of all those expensive unnecessary luxury goods and consumer durables just makes you cross, then you won't enjoy the experience. But if you are like me you will be in heaven, and my advice is therefore to leave your credit cards at home.
Great review.
Posted on: Jul 31, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About KaDeWe

From Checkpoint Charlie to KaDeWe
So to my last full day in Berlin. Jenny had to put in a couple of hours at work in the morning, but after that we planned a lengthy walk. While Jenny worked I went off to explore the area around Chec…Berlin that has caused some ethnic tensions, but has also provided good Turkish eateries. I had a large doner kebab - the first I've ever had; I only wish…
Berlin, here I come!
As I had a few days off from thursday to monday, I spontaneously decided to go to Berlin for the weekend.Bought a package at bahn.de, which includes railway ticket. Maybe not that mega-super-saver-sp…Berlin, you have to check out KaDeWe. It's really big, and the best part is the gourmet floor, with…
Another day in Berlin
After a good night sleep and a great breakfast again we started day 2. First we went to the Potzdammer Platz. It's hard to imagine that this square was empty ten years ago. There was only the Wall th…KaDeWe, the largest shopping center of Berlin. It's like La Fayette in Paris a little but maybe even bigger…

Check Berlin Hotel Deals