KARO Restaurant

012 643 547

KARO Restaurant Siem Reap Reviews

patriot4311 patriot4…
Best Quality, Cheapest Price Sep 26, 2010
This restaurant has the best food for the best price in Siem Reap. Not to mention that happy hour is from 3pm to 10pm, at $0.50 cents per can of Angkor beer (which is excellent beer, by the way).

This was the first restaurant we tried in Siem Reap, and we decided to try here based upon the prices on the menu. We walked Sivatha street, toward the markets, looking at each available menu and the prices for KARO were, in my opinion, the best option. I say this because on the second night in town we were walking toward the markets again and trying to find a new place to eat (I like to try new places each time, just to get a good feel of the area) and I was surprised at how expensive each of the other restaurants were; especially at the night market, under the gazebo...although I don't remember the name of the restaurant. A travel mate spent the day in town and tried two other places and she said that the Karo was, by far, the best food she had had all day and definitely the cheapest, in regards to an actual restaurant and not a street vendor.

The food portions were average, for the country, but the taste was excellent. I tried several dishes (lok lak, peppered squid, breakfast omelette, etc) and each time I was very happy with what I ordered. As well, each of my travel mates were very happy. The owners are very nice and speak decent english. The owner, Sarohm (forgive my spelling, but I don't know what is correct)speaks the best english and it's easy to have a conversation with him (he's very curious about travelers and very respectful).

I would recommend at least one evening meal here, just to try the free peanuts they provide for finger food. The owner, Sarohm and his family own the restaurant, and actually buy the raw peanuts and cook/season them themselves. They are, by far, the freshest/best peanuts I've had. So much so, that I actually had Sarohm write down his 'recipe' for me and go through how he cooks/makes them.

I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone traveling to Siem Reap.
j-u-r-k says:
hi, where can i find this restaurant? will need to try it..tnx!
Posted on: Nov 20, 2010