Just Khao Soy

108/2 Charoenphratet Rd, Chiang Mai, Thailand

Just Khao Soy Chiang Mai Reviews

nooker72 nooker72
Aug 04, 2007
Just Khao Soy is a restaurant in Chiang Mai which, as the name suggests, serves Khao Soy and not much else. Khao Soy is a Northern specialty originally adopted from Burma. It is basically a hearty noodle soup, whose flavor you personalize using the various condiments that accompanies it.

The menu states that Khao Soy, despite its immense popularity, had long been thought of as a "peasant dish" and as such ignored by the major restaurants in Chiang Mai. This meant that until Just Khao Soy opened, you could only get Khao Soy from street vendors who often used cheaper ingredients. Just Khao Soy decided to give the popular dish its due and so turned the traditional recipe into a "work of art," using only the best ingredients and choice cuts of meat.

Maintaining the "work of art" theme, the Khao Soy is served on an artist's palate, with condiments served in paint pots. Included condiments are chili paste, sugar, pickled cabbage, lime, fish sauce (the Thai equivalent to adding salt), fresh coconut milk and bananas (to either add to the dish, or cool your tongue if you added too much chili). You can get beef, chicken, or vegetarian Khao Soy in either of two styles: traditional Burmese or Chiang Mai style which adds coconut milk to thicken the broth.

The price is right, around $5 for a very filling dish. The atmosphere is also excellent, as there are works of art displayed on the walls to keep with the overall art theme. I would highly recommend Just Khao Soy to anyone in Chiang Mai.
dave_cambodia says:
Wow that is way way way overpriced.
Posted on: Sep 02, 2009
indigocm says:
I do also do enjoy Khao Soy from the local restaurant more (my favourite is Khao Soy Lumduan..yum!! - what's your local place, Nannyre?), but to be fair, I do find the serving at Just Khao Soy a lot bigger. The sai ua (Chiang Mai spicy sausage) at Just Khao Soy is really good - lots of herbs but not that spicy.
Posted on: Mar 20, 2009
nannyre says:
I have lived in CM for almost 5 years now and when friends who were visiting decided that this was where they wanted to go (too much LP reading maybe) I had to take them. I found it to be a rip off...over priced...and waaaay to tourist trap! Give me my Khao Soi from my local little restaurant for 20/THB and I'm a happy camper. I have also made it in my own home here in CM for more than 10 people for the $5 you quoted! Glad you enjoyed it tho....
Posted on: Mar 14, 2009