Julie's house

julieshouse.be - 09 233 33 90

Julie's house Ghent Reviews

Pearl510 Pearl510
Nice to see, not so nice to taste Aug 16, 2014
Apparently, Julie's house is kind of an institution in Gent. Everyone seems to know it and everyone seems to like it. There are always people queuing outside to get a table. That's why I'm a bit nervous to write this review about it.

I wasn't so impressed by Julie's House.

True, the marketing is very well done. The shop is genuinely pretty, the cupcakes all look divine and the interior is a nice spot to have a coffee indeed. If you take a look at the website you'll see what I mean.

However, the queue was SO long and people were waiting outside in the pouring rain. I didn't do that so I didn't eat in, I bought a cupcake to go.

In my opinion, these kinds of cake and cupcake bars have sprouted everywhere. Maybe, back in the day, Julie's House was something new and innovating, but now, a cute, retro concept shouldn't suffice any more to draw costumers at this scale.

The cupcake I had wasn't bad, but let me tell you: I can make better myself. I'm a huge fan of dessert and I usually don't have high standards when it comes to sweets, give me a kinder egg and I'm already grinning like an idiot. However, the cupcake I bought only made me smile until I tasted it.

Sadly, the marshmallow on top was the best part about it. I just couldn't even finish the butter frosting. It was SO heavy! It just wasn't whipped enough. I've made butter cream a hundred times, and what I got at Julie's house was simply a good recipe of butter cream that wasn't whipped into the fluffy deliciousness that it's supposed to be, but instead was like scooping a spoonful of butter into your mouth. It fell on my stomach like a brick and my stomach growled in regret.

The cake itself was okay... But it could have been a package mix cake, for all I care. It didn't taste special or fresh and it wasn't particularly fluffy, either. Just ordinary cake. No need to hype it.

So yes, I was disappointed. After all those recommendations I got, maybe I just expected too much? But on the other hand... There's plenty of coffee shops that sell better sweets. They might not look as cute. The building might not be so nice. But honestly, I can't eat that interior. I want to taste some divine dessert and if you can't offer me that, I honestly don't care what your counter looks like.

I'm not queuing up here again.
Suzanne28_89 Suzanne2…
Sweettooth heaven!! Apr 26, 2011
When i discovered this little peace of heaven in my home city i was sooo happy!

I myself love all kinds of sweets and you know all of us get bored of the same muffins and cupcakes we can find in all the standard shops.

But this place is an eyeopener! they truly have everything you can dream of when it comes to brownies, cake, cupcakes and pie. You could go there every day for a month without having to eat the same thing twice!

Everything is made by hand so it's not really cheap but it's more then worth it! inside there is a great atmosphere and the service is overall great!

The only downside is that it's rather small and sometimes you'll have to wait for a table! iy you're not patient enough just take some things on the go!

I wish you all a lot of sweet joy when visiting this place!!

Check Ghent Hotel Deals