Miyajima, Japan

Jukeiso Rates and Deals

Jukeiso Miyajima Reviews

saltycoco saltycoco
Ryokan Jukeiso May 26, 2010
One of the things that I wanted to do when I visited Japan base on recommendations from other people is to stay the night in Miyajima Island. My first ryokan opttion, which was the cheapest didn't take single travelers, but was offered a second ryokan option which I hesitantly took. But word of advice for the future traveler going to Miyajima island and is planning on staying the night is to book accommodations at least 2 months in advance.

Ryokan Jukeiso is a modern Japanese ryokan located on the very far end of the island. It's very close to Itsukushima shrine. But requires a bit of a walk just to get to the ryokan from the ferry station, maybe 25 minutes. It is located in the very opposite end of the ferry station, and extremely difficult to find. They do offer pick-up service after 3 pm at the station, and morning drop-off service back to the station. Otherwise you have to walk to the ryokan and station in between those times.

I got lost trying to find this place, and when I found it after 35 minutes and asking the local folks for directions, I was shocked to find the ryokan was perched on a very steep hill. I thought I was going to have a heart attack climbing those stairs since they didn't have an elevator to get to the top, where the main entrance is located; and I had to carry my luggage to boot on that flight of stairs.

Once I checked into the room, the view of Miyajima Island from ryokan Jukeiso was amazing. I could see the whole island, including the ferry station, Itsukushima shrine and the famous torii gate. I stayed in a traditional Japanese style room. The room has a bathroom and shower area, and a lovely-techy Japanese toilet. It also had a kotatsu table, and on it was a hot green tea and a snack to eat when I arrived. A flat screen TV with basic channels is also included. They also provide a yukata robe to wear while inside the ryokan, and other amenities such as towels, toothbrush, toothpaste, and fragrances in the bathroom. The large bathing area is located in the basement floor, which I didn't visit since my room already had a shower.

I was served kaiseki dinner in my room by the attendant, and it was similiar to the one I had in Mikawaya ryokan in Hakone, although not as fancy or as good. The best part of the meal were the 2 pieces of oysters that was served. Miyajima is famous for their oysters, and I have to agree that those were some of the best I've ever had in my life. Breakfast is served on the dining room on the first floor. The attendant that served my dinner was very friendly, although I can't say the same thing for the other employees that I met. They did speak basic simple broken English, which was enough to get by.

Overall this ryokan was a bit expensive at 17,000 that I paid for the night. The location and just trying to find the place was a bit of a disappointment, and overall the staff just didn't have a friendly vibe to have a customer stay at their ryokan or maybe it's just me. However the place is well kept and clean and located in the more quieter area of Miyajima. For a second option I couldn't really complain because I had no other options but to book with this ryokan. But I'm pretty satisfied and didn't have any problems with the accommodation.
View from my room
Jukeiso on top of a hill
Kaiseki dinner
Glynnes says:
Thanks for sharing.
Posted on: Aug 07, 2010
genex13 genex13
Beautiful Modern Ryokan, that's good value Sep 12, 2007
We stayed there for two nights and loved the ryokan.

Maybe the prices are a little bit on the expensive side, but I think you pay for the location. Our decision to stay at the Jukeiso was due to wanting to be on the island at night, too.

And we weren't disappointed. The Jukeiso is not really close to the ferry station, so take the offer for free pick up and dropp off.

The guy getting us was really friendly and we talked a lot over the drive and later during our stay. He really helped us a lot. From getting the timetable of the tide to an excursus about tanukis (a lovely little animal).

After arriving a flag of our nation was placed at the counter, which showed what nationalities are 'on board'. I think this is a really nice idea.

The room we had, was very spacious with separate hallway to put our shows and luggage. Then we had a room for teh shower and bath, a room for the toilette and a room for the sink. The best was te view from the window. You could see the bay with the red torii.

As a welcome we got green tea after arriving, which was very good. After settling we discovered the island a little bit and during this time, they laid out the futons for us.

Breakfast we had downstairs and the evening before you could decide if you wanted to have it japanese or western style. We had both and both were delicious. For the japanese you just need the stomach for grilled fish, rice and raw egg in the morning.

In the basement they have a nice communal bath, which you can have all for yourself if you choose your times right. It is gender-segregated and you have to try it. With every room comes a yukata, that you can wear to go there. Some even wore it walking around the island.

Overall the staff was more then helpful and very openminded and friendly. If I ever come back, I know were I'll stay.
the Jukeiso ryokan - seen from the…
the Jukeiso ryokan - from behind
steep stairs to the entrance
welcome sign for the new guests
YantiSoeparno says:
This reminds me of Japan... Green tea... I remember that. I was always served with that during my visit. One night, I couldn't sleep tight because too much green tea in one day ;D
Posted on: Jan 06, 2009