Josefov (Old Jewish Quarter and Museum)

1 U staré školy, Prague, Czech Republic
221 711 511

Josefov (Old Jewish Quarter and Museum) Prague Reviews

Vikram Vikram
Time stood still, pain stood still. It's all real, and there for us to witness! May 23, 2014
This is a must-see attraction of Prague, probably the BEST half day of my life. I had fallen in Prague properly before this, but this day really turned my life around.

So, to set things straight - the Jewish Quarter is really a collection of graveyards, synagogues and museums. Most of it is free if you hold the Prague Pass. There are 2 paid attractions which we decided to skip.

Pinkas Synagogue - the first stop of the journey. AND MOVING. There is a list of victims of the holocaust (very moving indeed), and upstairs is a nice picture gallery with paintings drawn by kids who were specially schooled in some town because of the discrimination against Jews in Prague. It was here that I realised that Josefov is just a name (all along I thought it was a translation for some Jew thing). It turns out that this happened to be the one neighbourhood where the Jews were relegated to. Seeing those names on the walls was quite moving indeed. From here on, moved to the cemetery, 1st time I'm seeing so many Jewish tombs. Apparently Kasko was buried here somewhere but I couldn't find him.

COMMEMORATION HALL is this really tiny building. It was really cool though, had tons of exhibits and I learnt a lot about how the funeral/death and mourning process works in Judaism. Some parts, especially the mourning period was very similar to us Hindus.

SYNAGOGUE was the next stop, and right next door. Another great albeit really crowded place. This had more explanations about the Torah, the dresses and garments, etc. The place was really full. It was here I noticed that they rent out white caps at the Pinkas Synagogue that you can return when you're done with your visit.

From here on, I walked past a photo-op spot - a narrow little road filled with tourists and knick knack shops. We decided to skip the Old New Synagogue (as this wasn't covered in the ticket). Also the map kept referring to the Jewish Hall and I kept walking around the block but couldn't find it.

SPANISH SYNAGOGUE - Now this was incredible! INCREDIBLE! It had an amazing altar. And even though photos aren't allowed, everyone was taking photos. For that matter, most of the Jewish Qtr had a "no photos allowed" except for the Cemetery where one had to pay.

There were 2 other attractions in the Jewish Qtr (and I can't remember the names unfortunately) which were supposedly equally good, but given the lack of time and not wanting to spend money, we gave it a miss.

Back to what I was saying at the start of this thread - this place is BEYOND BRILLIANT. I'd highly recommend this as probably the BEST attraction of Prague, way better than the Castle because, given all its touristy value, the experience really feels very untouristy. The places are barebones and nothing tacky about them. Do not miss!
The Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish Cemetery
This was at the Old-New Synagogue
This was at the Old-New Synagogue
WalterC says:
There is a lot to see, and I ended up running out of time as well.
Posted on: Aug 20, 2014
haidgirl says:
congrats on the feature! i'd love to get here one day; i've heard from so many people that it was their favourite thing to see in prague! : D
Posted on: Aug 16, 2014
gingerbatik says:
congrats
Posted on: Aug 16, 2014
Bojasem Bojasem
you must see Nov 04, 2012
The Jewish Quarter (Josefov) is not far from Old Town Square and it would make sense to visit it in connection with your tour of the Old Town. The Jewish Museum administers the following sites: the Maisel Synagogue, the Pinkas Synagogue, the Spanish Synagogue, the Old Jewish Cemetery, the Klaus Synagogue, and the Ceremonial Hall. The Old-New Synagogue is the oldest working synagogue in Central Europe.

I like this area it hot spot.

The area have two museum 1-Historical museum 2-National museum.

I enjoyed the Jewish quarter as I have some Jewish ancestors.

There are statue maybe for Turkisk muskteer near historical museum.

The streets are lovely and very grand- gives on the impression of a Parisian street or Fifth Ave, beautiful buildings and lovely cafes. It is overrun with designer shops and trendy people...
Turkish kinght
Turkish kinght and historical muse…
Old Building in this area
Liselore_Verschuren Liselore…
Either dive in completely or skip it. Apr 01, 2010
We didn’t approach the Jewish Quarter the best way, that’s for sure. We have been to Israel a couple of years back and completely dived into the Jewish culture then, so we thought the Jewish Quarter of Prague wouldn’t have anything new to offer us. We decided to squeeze this part of town in after we’ve been walking around the old town for hours and get a nice glimpse of the quarter known as Josefov.

As it turned out, there is no way you can get a quick glimpse of the Jewish Quarter. Either you dive in and go for the full experience, or you skip it entirely. If you want to go, make sure you have plenty of time and start with the Maisel Synagoge, which houses a collection of Jewish art. Make sure you also visit the Ceremonial Hall and Mortuary, a separate building behind the Maisel Synagoge. From here you can enter the Jewish Cemetery.

The Old-New Synagogue is a bit of an issue. Personally, we thought the entrance fee is way too expensive for what it has to offer, others may find it absolutely worth it.

I would advise to visit the Maisel Synagoge first, then the Ceremonial Hall and Mortuary with the Jewish Cemetery. If you feel like visiting another (small) synagogue for a hefty entrance fee after that, you’ll probably won’t be disappointed with the Old-New Synagogue.
The Rudolfinum in the Jewish Quart…
The Ceremonial Hall and Mortuary i…
The Old-New Synagogue in the Jewis…

Check Prague Hotel Deals